• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How To: Put new floorpans and patch holes in my XJ (really long)

Hey man. Nice job . Want to do mine?????
Mine has the strut under the seat, that the seat is attached to. Will those Sherman floors work as a one piece or do I need the floor in two pieces. What do you think?
Also what number wrench did you use to remove the seat mounting bolts and can this be done by hand or do I need an air tool?
Thanks.

That is really nice!
I wish the floor pans were a little cheaper though.

BTW how many gallons/quarts did it take?

Thanks!

aiinny said:
Hey man. Nice job . Want to do mine?????
Mine has the strut under the seat, that the seat is attached to. Will those Sherman floors work as a one piece or do I need the floor in two pieces. What do you think?
Also what number wrench did you use to remove the seat mounting bolts and can this be done by hand or do I need an air tool?
Thanks.

I think the seat bolts were 15mm. You can actually order the Sherman pans in a 2 piece version, I like the 1 piece per side like I used. You should be able to just drill out the spotwleds on the seat mount that you have. Just take measurments to figure out where it goes when you put it back. I used hand tools for removing the bolts. The only time I used air or electric tools was when I was making the cuts.

Twicepardoned said:
BTW how many gallons/quarts did it take?

It took 1 gallon to do the floor and the lower part of the body. I didn't have any of the gallon left when I was done. So if you are just coating your floor you will have plenty with the 1 gallon kit.

Very nice. I like the new look I bet you feel better now with a new floor and herc liner.

TMXONR said:
It took 1 gallon to do the floor and the lower part of the body. I didn't have any of the gallon left when I was done. So if you are just coating your floor you will have plenty with the 1 gallon kit.

SO you coated the exterior too?

Just the lower part, to help with scratches from brush. For the under side of the Jeep, I just picked up a spray can of undercoating.

AWESOMXJ.jpg

Yea, they are factory. I really like them. If I had the dinky plastic ones, I would have definatly gone through a couple of them by now. These just fold in when ever I hit something.

TMXONR said:
Yea, they are factory. I really like them. If I had the dinky plastic ones, I would have definatly gone through a couple of them by now. These just fold in when ever I hit something.

Thats why I like mine too. People round here don't seem to care about hip checking somebodies mirrors.....

First off nice work.
Secondly, What year is it? Its obviously older than 95 due to the seat strut is absent. But I've never seen that color (appears to be the same as mine) in anything older than 94 or 95. Also what is the paint code?

Thanks. It is an 87. I don't have a clue what color it is. It was repainted by the previous owner. I know the stock color was the light blue.

Makes me glad I moved out of the midwest. :) Sunshine tax is high, but the vehicles are rust free.

The dinky plastic mirrors breakaway when you hit crap with them also.

TMXONR said:
Thanks. It is an 87. I don't have a clue what color it is. It was repainted by the previous owner. I know the stock color was the light blue.
thats what i was wonderin cause i saw the factory over spray inside

markw said:
Makes me glad I moved out of the midwest. :) Sunshine tax is high, but the vehicles are rust free.

The dinky plastic mirrors breakaway when you hit crap with them also.

Thats the bad thing, I think I remember on the VIN search that this XJ has spent its life in Texas and here in Arkansas. All of the rust was caused by horrible door seals. The pin on the drivers side door was broken in half and the there was a gap where water could get in. The window seal on the passenger side is bad, and the rear hatch seal was almost all the way gone. The only good thing about all of the rust was the fact that the body and uniframe are still intact with no rust.

Fantastic job and thanks for the write up. I don't know how bad the damage is to mine yet but when I bought it a buddy commented that the carpet was moist in some spots. I plan to chase it all down and replace what is needed.

Hey TMXONR, it's been a few years since you fixed your rusty floors. I'm just curious how they are holding up? Has any rust returned since you fixed them? How does the bed-liner look? I'm just starting to fix mine and found your post very helpful. I'd love to see a long term report! Thanks!

( .. yes I know this is an old thread )

Sorry for the late reply, I thought I was subscribed to this thread so I would get updates. To answer your question, the floors are holding up really well, and the Herculiner is holding up good as well.

That was one rusty sum bitch...... :eek: Nice job on the fix!! :clap:

Back