• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How do you think this will look?

AnthonyZ28

NAXJA Forum User
Up until this past Saturday the only spare I had was a stock tire off the xj, the problem is I have 32' tires. Not very good, and looks absolutely ridiculous with the spare on right now. So for now I've ordered 2 tires that I'll put on for now until I can afford the other 2. (hopefully in a week or 2) But out of the tires I have now, 1 is absolutely trash (the one i had a flat on) another is getting pretty bald. But the other 2 are in rather good condition. So what i was thinking is that I would save the 2 good ones for spares. One mounted to the tirerack on the back, and one mounted to the roof rack? I'll have to order 2 cheap rims before I can do that, but I think it would look pretty cool? There's a FJ cruiser that ive seen in town with the same setup and looks real nice. Also now, i'll have 2 full size spares which might come in handy one day.

having a spare on the roof sucks for driving.

it sucks for getting the spare down when you need it too.

not to mention the gas mileage penalty.

cool? You're prerogative there, it's your pile. I htink you'll find a tire on the roof is PITA all the way round.

as said above, unless your upper body is built like arnold schwarzeneggar in the 70s you're going to hate the tire up there when you need it. take that spare and just lift it above your head and try to hold it there for a full minute, you'll see what we mean.

and yes, your gas mileage will take a noticeable hit. the XJ is shaped like a brick, adding more flat surfaces to it's aerodynamic plane is not the best idea. not to mention you will notice the extra weight up high in off camber situations.

Anthony in all fairness... I've went on more than 5 trips just this year to new and familiar terrain and I've yet to need my spare... The only time I've actually ever really needed a spare was when I was going to fast on unfamiliar terrain and smacked a rock and popped a tire... So in the last 5 years I've used my spare once... Unless your using used weather cracked tires I think 2 spares is excessive, and if you get a small puncture in the tread with like a stick, you can always use plugs to get you off the trail.

Anthony in all fairness... I've went on more than 5 trips just this year to new and familiar terrain and I've yet to need my spare... The only time I've actually ever really needed a spare was when I was going to fast on unfamiliar terrain and smacked a rock and popped a tire... So in the last 5 years I've used my spare once... Unless your using used weather cracked tires I think 2 spares is excessive, and if you get a small puncture in the tread with like a stick, you can always use plugs to get you off the trail.

I've been wheeling on the same tires for 18 months and I haven't had to use my spare but its on my bumper. Do it right and buy 5 tires, you never know when you 'll need it. A plug may not get you home.

I've been wheeling on the same tires for 18 months and I haven't had to use my spare but its on my bumper. Do it right and buy 5 tires, you never know when you 'll need it. A plug may not get you home.

Agreed I'm just basically saying 2 spares is kind of overkill

this thread reminds me why I haul my junk to the trail and leave all the spares in the wienerbox.

I used to worry about stuff like this.

Back