• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How can I get setup as a retailer for 4x4?

I am the lead installer for a new Mobile Electronics shop about 10 minutes north of Boston, Massachusetts. My boss knows that i have a 4x4 obsession, and told me to get as much info I could on getting setup with companies. I know there are quite a few out there on the forums that run shops, as well as online sales. I am only looking for a way to support my hobby, get some good deals for myself, and be a local dealer for parts. I was looking for any information regarding talking directly to companies such as Rubicon Express, etc.. or is there a distributor to talk to since this is going to be a secondary line of acessories in the company. Any and ALL help will be greatly appreciated. --Chad Bleakney--

Your best bet it to tie into the local part supplier warehouse. In my area it is Keystone, they stock ARB, Warn, RE and a few others. The main reason for this is that if you tie in directly with say custom4x4 you will be eating the shipping charges. One of our local jeep dealers does this and if I order a heavy part from him I get billed for the shipping. When I priced the warn bumpers for the TJ's it was $200+$60S&H+tax, from the local supplier it was $200+tax. Just some things to think about because as sure as god made little green apples as soon as you go into this line and advertise every frigging shop within 50 miles is going to do the same thing... so if you shoot for the minimum costs you can play with the profit a bit, specially if the others don't know how or where to get the stuff.
Had it happen with my computer business, I was the single advertiser for computer services in my local paper FOR ONE WEEK, following week there were 15 others... moved to another local paper and same thing, one week.

Get a business license, get a federal tax ID number....call whatever supplier you want, give said info....and they should set you up an account with one of thier local suppliers unless they will sell directly to you, but as said earlier, check on the shipping issues as they can eat you up if your not carefull and diminish what profit or savings your getting.

Good Luck,
Justin

We already have the Keystone account, they do not carry RE... as a matter of fact, they only carry SkyJacker, Super Lift, and Explorer Por Comp for the XJs. I haven't been overly impressed by the Brands they carry in the past year of working with them... Some things are good(ARB, Warn, etc.), but many areas are lacking horribly. Not a big fan of dealing with them either, they shipped us the wrong part on at least 15-20% of our orders, and they make it worthless to be a dealer through them becasue they back-stab the retailers by offering the products on their website, driverfx.com for such a low price that the average markup over what they charge us is between 2-4%. (with the same shipping charges)
We already have our business license, tax id#, etc... I already wrote an e-mail to RE, but thought i'd post a ? on here in case there was anything I was missing. I'm hoping to be able to sell this stuff as an "oh by the way, we also sell lift components- to make your jeep look sweet complimenting the killer sound system we put in it" I'd really like to be able to get myself some great deals, as well as be a retailer for the Boston area, but not really advertising as the lifts, and components... As far as i know, there are no shops around Boston.
I'm looking into it because my boss is cool, and may be willing to dish out some coin to get in the market for selling the 4x4 acessories. We do not install lifts, or any of that stuff for that matter, just custom audio and other fun electronics.
I'm tired- so now i must sleep.

Last edited:
Beezil said:
If you can show proof that your corporate sig annoys Hinkley, you will get 10-percent of of your naxja membership.

Which will proof NAXJA is 81% two faced!!!!!!!!!!!

hinkley

Speaking from experience.....good luck. Most of those companies get 50 calls a day from guys "looking for a good deal". Even being incorporated wholesalers won't take you seriously 'till you present the bank. Most companies today want a minimum buy in of 5 g's. It was frustrating for me at first, but even Hinkles was smart enough to keep the riff-raff like myself out.

Flowers

TNScrambler said:
Get a business license, get a federal tax ID number....call whatever supplier you want, give said info....and they should set you up an account with one of thier local suppliers unless they will sell directly to you, but as said earlier, check on the shipping issues as they can eat you up if your not carefull and diminish what profit or savings your getting.

Good Luck,
Justin

Not that easy.
I have been trying for a while but I can't get any responce frim any suppliers.

I spoke with RE today... you get a certain percent off by giving them you're tax id#, then if you buy $5k you step up a few %... not too bad. I don't even know who else to start with, because like i said, it's not our primary business- but my boss really likes the idea because there don't seem to be any shops for this stuff in Boston. Time to start makin more phone calls... Thanks Everyone for the input I have recieved. --Chad--

I think I would limit myself to 'bolt on' stuff, rocksliders, bumpers, winches, lights and avoid the lifts, SYE's, gears/lockers to start. Thats a whole nother dirty business that needs lifts, jacks, air tools, presses, etc to get jobs done in a resaonable amount of time. Though converting 8.25 rears to discs using KJ parts would not be too bad....
Doing a bumper, winch, optima, rear bumper, carrier, hitch is pretty straight forward and might just fit into your running operation.
Order some samples, set em up in the showroom and start selling and installing them. One thing I would also consider is build a 'demo' TJ or a zuki, something small that would fit in the showroom if you have one big enough for people to look at, you could use it as a vehicle to take to shows too if done right.
I have three demo boxes spread around, knock your socks off fast, slick looking antec cases, 21" LCD's, slick Leda desks, loomed cableing, etc, all installed at customers sites that have a high traffic profile, broadband access and it has helped quite a bit in my case.

Well, i like the demo idea... that's what I was planning on doing with my XJ, my boss already has about $15k into his porsche and it's just getting started... The showroom is small, no way to get a vehicle in the building, but we spoke with the landlord, and got a spot right out onn the road that we can park on- we plan on alternating the Porsche and the XJ, the XJ will be on a ramp- flexed of course. We don't plan on installing the lifts, or most of the stuff for that matter- we might send them to our other location for that-but i don't think they could handle a lift either, but there are places around that can... we'll sell them the product... mostly small stuff, etc. that we'll install.

seanR said:
Not that easy.
I have been trying for a while but I can't get any responce frim any suppliers.

I guess things have changed since the '90s then....thats when I was trying it, but relized that I couldn't keep up with another local shop, which has been in busness for over 25 years and has the stuff right there when you want it, where as I would have to order it. After working for a 4x4 shop, if I do decide to get back into the business, it will be for either custom parts that I myself build or specific products that again, I myself can handle.....much like Rockstomper.

Justin

Back