• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hesco High Flow Water Pump Reviews??

escout

NAXJA Forum User
So, I was walking back to my Jeep today and noticed a little puddle of coolant under the engine....Lovely. I can clearly see that its coming from the water pump. My question is, are the water pumps sold from Hesco reliable? I've read a few posts complaining about the Flowcooler pumps and the cheesy backing plate falling off the impeller. Doesn't seem like the Hesco should have any sort of similar problems given that the impeller is machined, not just modified. Based on the leak size, I have a couple of weeks before I should take action, assuming coolant is topped off. So, any personal accounts of Hesco pumps would be helpful. Thanks!

:us:

I've also read up on these a little. From what I gather Hesco advertises a 6hp gain also. Altought some claim they are no better than an OEM pump. The price tag leaves me leaning toward an OEM. No firsthand experience.. I'll stay tuned to the thread as I am curious too.

I have one. It has been going fine for two years and 15k miles. It didn't seem to make a difference on temperatures but I wasn't overheating so that doesn't mean anything. I wouldn't save up for one but if you have the money by all means pick one up.

I would get an OEM pump before I bought a Hesco. The Hesco pump does look well built, but there is such a thing as having too much coolant flow. If the coolant flows too much, it won't stay in the radiator long enough to cool down. It may help at idle speeds on a Jeep that is constantly crawling at low speed through the desert, but on a daily driver I would stick with an OEM pump. I replaced my pump with a Mopar one at 90k miles and have almost 60k on the new one without any issues.

The Hesco pump does look well built, but there is such a thing as having too much coolant flow. If the coolant flows too much, it won't stay in the radiator long enough to cool down.

thats not actually how heat transfer works.

BTUH rejected to radiator = 500 x (deltaT) x GPM

If you increase the GPM, the deltaT gets smaller, but total heat rejected remains the same. The amount of heat that is rejected is all that matters for a cooling system

The Hesco impeller is a quality part and it's very well machined. Apart from the impeller it's a new OEM style pump. The reliability will be the same as any new pump from the auto parts store. I never had any problems with mine.

Napa TrueFlow or whatever they call it. Or dealership.
Even the dealership, I'd think, will be cheaper than Hesco - and if you aren't building a stroker or have some unique / weird situation where OEM isn't enough, then why spend the money? OEM water pumps are good enough for the few million Cherokees abused by soccer moms, so...

I had a hesco one. It was well made and worked fine. When it failed (overtight belt, problem with random people helping at races) we replaced it with a $12 autozone unit that worked fine too.

Forgot to update this one.....I ended up just getting the "high $" Autozone version. Works fine, it was like $30 out the door. Couldn't justify another $130 for Hesco's version.....

I too, looked into this pump for a while. And like others, $130 just didn't seem justifiable. Went with a $30 pep-brothers "BDG" brand pump, which has performed flawlessly for the past 4 years/80,000 miles. I've also been running Zerex G05 and distiller water for the same duration.

Flowkooler's new pump has an impeller similar to Hesco's $$$ pump.

Correct. I installed one on a SBC that had a cooling issue. Really helped out.

Back