• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Herculiner users, got a ?:

ZachMan

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Memorial Lifetime Member
I am in the slooow process of laying down all my sound deadner under my carpet. I am using this stuff:

doorseal2.jpg

Its a tar like strip with a smooth paper(ish) top to it. I am wondering if the Herculiner will strick to this paper? Or should I scuff it up somehow and get some of the tar to come though the paper?

Its like this, but not tin, more of a paper top:

ground.jpg

Also do I "have" to peel up all the factory insulation/deadner off the metal floor? (like in the cargo area (99 XJ)? I plan to just cover everything in this stuff and then go to town with the Herc.

Also should (4) - 4" wide 33.3' rolls be enough for the floor?

dont do that !

put the herculiner down first, THEN that stuff. Herculiner will stick well enough to your paint (i preped my meticulousy and some spots it peeled back so i dont really like it, its dry looking, thin, and just not what i hoped it to be) that aside, put the herc down then that tar sealer stuff.

http://www.soundproofing.org/infopages/sitemap.htm

check out the above link they have superior to dynmat sound deadeners at about 1/5 the price of dynma it aviation and marine grade not cheap crap. You can get all sorts of thickness, just make sure you read the pricing carefully they dont sell it by 1x1 ft squares like dynamat they sell it by a running (or lineal) foot is 48" width, 12" long. so your unit price is 4 sq feet.

When I was doing my '99, I took the couple pieces of that stuff out of the cab, so i could get a better surface, there was some pieces under the rear seat that I just herculined over, and I am pretty sure it sticks, don't know how durable it wouldl be though.

And if your talking about that large area in the middle of the back cargo area thats like all bumpy and stuff, no, you can herculine right over that stuff.

MG2000XJ said:
If water gets into the papery surface under the herculiner it will start peeling up. Making the hurculiner pointless.

Water can't get to it if it has herc on it. I am doing the entire floor and leaving the carpet in until I decide to herc or not to herc, lol.

motorcityxj said:
dont do that !

put the herculiner down first, THEN that stuff. Herculiner will stick well enough to your paint (i preped my meticulousy and some spots it peeled back so i dont really like it, its dry looking, thin, and just not what i hoped it to be) that aside, put the herc down then that tar sealer stuff.

http://www.soundproofing.org/infopages/sitemap.htm

check out the above link they have superior to dynmat sound deadeners at about 1/5 the price of dynma it aviation and marine grade not cheap crap. You can get all sorts of thickness, just make sure you read the pricing carefully they dont sell it by 1x1 ft squares like dynamat they sell it by a running (or lineal) foot is 48" width, 12" long. so your unit price is 4 sq feet.

The stuff I got was $9 for 4 rolls (off ebay) and it works well. I have to herc over it, that defeats the purpose to have herc then tar.

Also I have access to Line-X, but I figured it would be messy spraying in bedline inside. I may just put the rest of the tar down and then recover with carpet and be done.

Back