• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help me understand this wiring harness

XJMilan

NAXJA Forum User
Disclaimer
1. I am an idiot when it comes to wiring.
2. I have read and read both on here and other websites so I have a tiny bit a know how but not much
3. Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

I bought this chinese LED light bar and it came with a wiring harness. I plan to build a better harness but I don't really have time before the Thanksgiving weekend so I would like to try to use the one provided for this weekend.

I hope you guys can answer my questions and help guide the village idiot.

1. What do I connect these to? They run directly from the relay. I assume the white one goes to the positive wire coming directly from the light. Doesn't the black wire directly from the light go to chassis ground or do I hook it up to this black wire instead. If I hook it up to chassis ground then I assume this black wire is unused and I can just tape it off for now? (I assume the 2 sets are either to hook up multiple lights or just 2 lengths, I plan on just taping up the ends of the unused set)

photo2_zps209e7933.jpg
photo2_zps209e7933.jpg

2. The on/off switch has 3 wiring coming into this white connection. The black is ground. The white wire runs directly into the relay. This red wire coming from the switch goes to a 12v source right? Like a fuse in the fuse box? or do I run it directly to the battery also?

photo4_zps276e3677.jpg

This pic is just to show the relay and the 5 wires coming out of it. Black is ground and red runs directly to the battery. I figured that much out.

photo3_zps8130bc1f.jpg

Here is what the entire harness looks like.

photo_zps9890b10e.jpg

Disclaimer
1. I am an idiot when it comes to wiring.
2. I have read and read both on here and other websites so I have a tiny bit a know how but not much
3. Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

I bought this chinese LED light bar and it came with a wiring harness. I plan to build a better harness but I don't really have time before the Thanksgiving weekend so I would like to try to use the one provided for this weekend.

I hope you guys can answer my questions and help guide the village idiot.

1. What do I connect these to? They run directly from the relay. I assume the white one goes to the positive wire coming directly from the light. Doesn't the black wire directly from the light go to chassis ground or do I hook it up to this black wire instead. If I hook it up to chassis ground then I assume this black wire is unused and I can just tape it off for now? (I assume the 2 sets are either to hook up multiple lights or just 2 lengths, I plan on just taping up the ends of the unused set)

Looks like they plug into the positive and negative wires on the light. It also looks like it's a generic harness that was probably originally set up for a set of two lights, so if you just have a single light bar, just tape up the ends of the extra set like you said. It's set up this way for ease of install vs having to create a separate ground for the lights wherever they are mounted.

2. The on/off switch has 3 wiring coming into this white connection. The black is ground. The white wire runs directly into the relay. This red wire coming from the switch goes to a 12v source right? Like a fuse in the fuse box? or do I run it directly to the battery also?

Yes, to a 12V source. There is probably a small LED in the switch, which is why it requires a ground as well. You probably want a switched +12V source, like the cigarette lighter or similar (so if you turn the jeep off, the light automatically goes off as well, regardless of the switch). Or you may want to be able to turn it on whenever, in which case, the +12V off the power socket may be better.

This pic is just to show the relay and the 5 wires coming out of it. Black is ground and red runs directly to the battery. I figured that much out.

Here is what the entire harness looks like.

Hope that helps.

Back