• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Healthy ignition timing & fueling = orange/brown plugs

fenns7

NAXJA Forum User
As i was undertaking a plug and wire service thought I'd take some photos of the old plugs. I was surprised to see the oranage/brown colour of the insulators but remembered I had used an STP fuel additive to ensure the 4 hole injectors I'd fitted 3-4 years prior were as clean as possible.

Here are the plugs in order (no.1 cylinder to the right):

and from other side:

Close up both sides of no. 3:

Comparison of new Champion plug vs. old - note slight erosion of electrode.
*these plugs are maybe 3 years old (15k miles?) and gaps had been set at correct 0.35" and some had increased to 0.45" - 0.50":

Last edited:
They don't look bad, what part# on the injectors? You might be a little "fat"!

BTW, the '96 is a "bastard" year do you have OBD I or OBD II electronics?

BTW, the '96 is a "bastard" year do you have OBD I or OBD II electronics?
Oh yes, and don't I know it :looney:

It's OBD I and no scanners seem to link up to it (excluding expensive dealer only devices) so I use the '3 turns of the ignition key' to read any codes)

Aside from the gap looking to be growing, they really don't look bad. Not great, but still usable if needed.

I'm pretty sure the orangey/red hue is largely due to the fuel system cleaner - seen it evidenced eleswhere. I'll check the new ones in a few months and post photos She runs smoothly and idles well (should do after all the work I've done!) so looking for nice tan colour and no fouling next time.

Aside from the gap looking to be growing, they really don't look bad. Not great, but still usable if needed.

As I got a dozen Champions for 50c each I've junked the old ones (here in UK XJ consumables are sold cheap because vendors see no market - they're getting rare - or v. expensive for same reason)

I am indeed a little 'fat' but that's down to age & absence of regular exercise :D

If I can find order details on new injectors I'll post here but know they're reconditioned items from a US vendor. Good deal & spedy service if I remember correctly.

You definitely need to change the plugs more often. Are you running the correct plugs?

Injectors were bought off ebay - from dsm-99 - have worked flawlessly.

Can recommend seller & injectors for a 1996 XJ

Last edited:
The plugs are correct but you would need to know the part# for the injectors to really tell anything. I don't think is much of a issue by your plug readings and since you are limited on actual O2 readings I wouldn't worry about it.

The plugs are correct but you would need to know the part# for the injectors to really tell anything. I don't think is much of a issue by your plug readings and since you are limited on actual O2 readings I wouldn't worry about it.

I've done some digging through 'the archives' and found this photo of the injectors I used. They're Chrysler # 5277739 the Bosch equivalent being # 0280155703 22.7lb/hr @ 43.5psi

Renix and HO don't take the same injectors though?

Quite right - I've removed the link in that earlier post as it was dead anyway.

Last edited:

Checking against the chart below maybe the flow rate is a touch lean for a '96 which runs ar 49psi?

Possibly if your pressure is not correct, but that injector will flow more (see example) at 49psi.

Back