• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Header/exhaust intake manifold combo ideas for 96' 4.0 XJ

streetxj

NAXJA Forum User
I was thinking about running an APN header with a flow cat and dynomax super turbo catback, but I was also thinking about buying the Clifford header and running dual 2 inch pipes running parallel to each other into a y pipe meeting into a 2 1/4 inch pipe right before the dyno max muffler and having the single 2 1/4 inch tail pipe that the dynomax kit brings. What would be the best performing combo for a stock 96 engine with 62/63 mm throttle body, 4 hole injectors (neon injectors)?

Still not sure whether to keep the stock log style intake manifold or switch to the horseshoe style intake. I've been reading mixed results based on the 96-98 engines. 91-95's have been showing better results with this swap.

For $100 the horseshoe intake is not any worse that the more restrictive log intake only better. I would look a a proper header system- Banks, Gibson, etc.

If you want to run a APN header and late 99 n up intake manifold, you would need to do some supporting mods to gane anything worthwhile.

If you want to run a APN header and late 99 n up intake manifold, you would need to do some supporting mods to gane anything worthwhile.

Like I've posted, in addition to the APN header and maybe a horseshoe intake, I'm planning to get a dynomax super turbo catback with a high flow cat (or @# cat). Guess what that two letter word is. :D I'm also planning on getting neon injectors. Will the explorer/mountaineer 19# 4 hole injectors work good with my jeep? I think I've read a while back that they are actually 21# pound injectors with my jeeps 49 psi fuel pressure. Another addition I'm planning to do is bore the bottom part of the stock throttle body so it can be 60mm all they way through or an ebay 63/62mm throttle body. When my next ignition tune up is due, I'll get a spicier ignition system. The last mod I'm going to do is maybe have my computer tuned at the dyno or check with Kolak to see if he still re-flashes computers. But that will be when gas prizes have gotten lower unless there are any good regular or medium octane gas tunes. :banghead:

I think he means increased displacement mods:dunno:

FWIW, I have a '98 with '99 intake, APN header, K&N FPIK, Flowmaster 40 with 2.5" tube and noticed minimal seat of the pants difference after the intake swap.

I definitely don't regret doing it though, so go for it!

Soon after getting this Heep, I went with a Magnaflow Performance CAT and a Heartthrob 2.5" Cat-back exhaust. Pre-SC, I ran a header but had to replace it when the SC went in due to a lack of clearance under the Sprintex intake manifold. Thing is, if you are not going to be doing something dramatic to the engine, going to a larger diameter exhaust can actually rob power. I upsized as I just knew that I was not going to leave the Heep alone under the hood.

I never have left things alone so, why start now that I'm pushing 60...

I would consider strokedjeep.com bored TB, lowest price around that I have seen and Leigh does great work. performance-curve.com has universal cats and a maggy (or failmaster, if you are into that) cat back for our XJ's.
Last time I checked there is not really enough room for 2-2" tubes to run across. A custom mandrel-bent 2.5" downpipe would work best.

Last edited:
I would consider strokedjeep.com bored TB, lowest price around that I have seen and Leigh does great work. performance-curve.com has universal cats and a maggy (or failmaster, if you are into that) cat back for our XJ's.
Last time I checked there is not really enough room for 2-2" tubes to run across. A custom mandrel-bent 2.5" downpipe would work best.

Thanks for the info.

I got the idea from this guy. It's a 2000 cherokee with clifford header, dual 2 1/4 inch pipes and dynomax ultra flow X muffler.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-WaRNpxPE8

Last edited:
Just ordered a dynomax cat back from summit with a $75 rebate and free shipping. Was $107 before the rebate so I figure $32 for a cat back exhaust is pretty good.

I'm going to be receiving my dynomax catback today along with the walker down pipe, which doesn't have the huge dent near the header flange like the factory one. This saturday, I'm going to be getting my thunderbolt 2.5 inch high flow spun cat. :cheers:

I forgot to mention that I also installed the precision auto fuel injectors last weekend along with new auto lite professional series ignition wires and grand cherokee rims with smaller tires. The combination of the three woke my jeep up. :roll:

Back