• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

have an automatic and you have to shift gears ?

green_machine

NAXJA Forum User
Just so fyi for you guys, i recently bouhght a 98 xj and when i bought it you had to shift it from second gear to third and then drive almost like a old truck 3 on the tree style but with no clutch, so i took it to the shop nearby and they said my TMC or Transmission Control Modual was bad, i was like what the hell is that, they showed me and it was a silver box about 3x3 inches, it is unerneth the driverside dash on the very, very upper right, i had to almost lay down backwards to see it but is just has two phillips head screws, they told me to go down to the local junkyard and get one from them, well i went down and they happen to have three xj's, we found one from a 97 and pulled it and the guy only charged me $ 50.00 and whent home and replaced it, dont forget to remove your battery leads before you pull the old one and reconnect afterwards, i had to do this a couple of times before my check engine light went off, but once i pulled the old one and put the new one in it ran like a normal automatic, so if you are have the same problem here is your fix, hope i was helpful to someone out there, Todd

Back