• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

H4 headlight housings: IPF vs Hella vs Silverstar

Just wanted to say lots of people read and rely on these old posts. I just installed hella h4 housings with heavy duty harness (Putco). Easy install very happy with the results. Daily driver and needed more light than the stock (original 15 year old) sealed beams....

I'm one of those people, thanks for the update. I've been sitting here having a :smoker: and researching lighting upgrades.

I looked into the IPF units but my gut told me to stick to Cibie'. Still made in Europe, still the same great quality. Hella has been outsourcing for a few years now (bulbs at least). Their 55w H2 bulbs are made in China and no longer fit properly in Cibie / Marchal holders, ditto for the Hella 100w H2 which is made in S. Korea. Whatever you decide for lighting, get Narva, Osram, or Flosser bulbs..all still manufacture in Europe.

As far as which headlights to use... my OML is Cibie' > IPF > Hella.

Me.., I have a tendency to research any item for purchase with my hard earned devalued dollar.., as I often hate the results of not having spent the time to insure that I don't get some cheap knock-off. (an ounce of prevention.., over a pound of cure, etc.).:soapbox:

My 2c is that I like the CIBIE glass, but not too impressed with the longevity of the OSRAM bulbs at the watt level I have as they burn out around 125 hours of use. However I do like the fact that these bulbs, although illegal for on-road use, when adjusted properly do not seem to bother on-coming drivers, and give me proper illumination to see life forms attempting to get up on the roads.., and lessening white knuckle driving at night for me.

I have before asked anyone that have done so.., to compare their general experiences with NARVA-vs-OSRAM with us.., blah, blah.

One thing in this thread that has not been discussed, thus far, is the use of some sort of lens protectors. I use the metal cage types which have saved me the need to replace the expensive CIBIE lenses many times. However, the cages are of no use in the snow country as the H4's seem to not project enough heat to melt the captured snow within the grid structure of the rock protecting lens cage. :lecture:

I wonder if 3M makes a clear adhesive material that would withstand the heat from the headlight?
Form the searching I have been doing lately, I will most likely be going with another set of IPF H4 housings for my MJ. Although, I have seen what look like, possibly good quality new "no-name" H4 housings that are made with GLASS lenses and not plastic.
I will be picking up an upgraded harness for sure, and probably use the same 80/100 Hella bulbs that I have in my XJ. Only 8$/ea on amazon.

I was looking for a discussion about XJ headlights.

Three questions:
1. When is a new wiring harness necessary?
2. Does the headlamp power go through the switch? If so, would adding relays to the headlight system help matters (where the light switch would only activate the relay and the relay would send battery power directly to the headlights)?
3. Do the IPF H4's allow the bulbs to be removed? I currently use the SilverStar headlights and you can't remove the bulbs from those units. The headlight unit is replaced, glass and bulbs together. Are the IPF H4's that I can buy on Quadratec different than that?

I have never witnessed my headlights 'dim' at stop lights and then brighten when engine RPM is increased. Since I don't see that occurring, I didn't think a new harness or relays were needed.

I am currently using the SilverStar's, but they start to dim about a year or so after I buy them. So I am looking for something better.

Also, any advice on driving/fog lights? Again, running the SilverStar's but would be happy to upgrade.

Vehicle:
2000 XJ Limited
Stock daily driver

1: Aftermarket (or DIY) harness is necessary for even stock sealed beams on an XJ/MJ. Harness alone will increase your light output. Power direct from the battery, Relays, etc.

2: Yes, now, see #1

3: Yes, they are called H4 conversion housings for a reason. Yes, H4/9003 bulbs use the same plug as XJ sealed beams, but Yes, bulbs are removable.

Lights dimming with rpm would be more of an overall electrical/charging issue.

I have this harness in my MJ with Syl. replacement sealed housings.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/221349534772?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

I have an LMC Truck harness in my XJ paired with IPF H4 housings and Hella 80/100 bulbs. The bulbs are under 10$ each from amazon.
There is a newer company called Genessi (I think) that looks to have at least semi-decent products for a low price. Thought about attempting using a set of those H4 housings in my MJ.
The ebay special ones looks of decent build quality has the ceramic plugs for the lights.
I will eventually pick up either LED replacements, or H4 conversion housings for my MJ.
I was looking for a discussion about XJ headlights.

Three questions:
1. When is a new wiring harness necessary?
2. Does the headlamp power go through the switch? If so, would adding relays to the headlight system help matters (where the light switch would only activate the relay and the relay would send battery power directly to the headlights)?
3. Do the IPF H4's allow the bulbs to be removed? I currently use the SilverStar headlights and you can't remove the bulbs from those units. The headlight unit is replaced, glass and bulbs together. Are the IPF H4's that I can buy on Quadratec different than that?

I have never witnessed my headlights 'dim' at stop lights and then brighten when engine RPM is increased. Since I don't see that occurring, I didn't think a new harness or relays were needed.

I am currently using the SilverStar's, but they start to dim about a year or so after I buy them. So I am looking for something better.

Also, any advice on driving/fog lights? Again, running the SilverStar's but would be happy to upgrade.

Vehicle:
2000 XJ Limited
Stock daily driver

New wiring is worth it even with stock lights

I did it without changing out my headlamps and was more than happy with the increase as is

I ran a harness with my sealed beam silverstars and was happy with that for a bit. I then came across a deal in trucklite LEDs for 200 and never looked back.

I have the H4 Hellas. They are an upgrade, but the light patteren is strange. I've tried aiming them several times and they always look like they're pointing to the left. that may be by design, but its enough to point me to another company next time.

honestly though, if i could find a good price on the Trucklite LEDs I would definitely grab them. $400 for lights is expensive, but I Have heard great things.

I have the H4 Hellas. They are an upgrade, but the light patteren is strange. I've tried aiming them several times and they always look like they're pointing to the left. that may be by design, but its enough to point me to another company next time.

honestly though, if i could find a good price on the Trucklite LEDs I would definitely grab them. $400 for lights is expensive, but I Have heard great things.

You can find them cheaper than that if you wait for a sale. I paid 200 for mine.

I'm going to be upgrading mine here in a few weeks.

I have this harness -
http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=150172
Made in the USA by a Jeep guy. Quality is awesome. I get 13.1v at my stock headlamp sockets, and I get 13.8 at the new socket (with a 13.85 battery voltage). I will compare the stock harness with a stock light to the upgraded harness with a stock light.

I got a set of Autopal e-code housings cheap from another FSJ member who could not use them because his state has inspections and they won't allow e-code housings. With that, I got a set of Autopal 60/55 bulbs. I also acquired a set of 80/70 Hella Yellowstar bulbs to test.

i have the vision x vx-57 housings with piaa xtreme white bulbs and the upgraded harness(don't recall the brand...got it off amazon).
i'm very happy with the output, pattern, and cut off. the vx-57 housings look kinda similar to the rampage ones, but have a deeper, better quality reflector and appear "nicer" overall. when i got them, they were about half the price of the hella's. I've had two sets of the hella's in the past, and while i liked them-they're getting hard to find for a decent price, and the light pattern always seemed a little odd to me.

Just wanted to say lots of people read and rely on these old posts. I just installed hella h4 housings with heavy duty harness (Putco). Easy install very happy with the results. Daily driver and needed more light than the stock (original 15 year old) sealed beams....

Check all of your connections on that "heavy duty harness"
I went through and soldered them all because half the crimps were loose.

Check all of your connections on that "heavy duty harness"
I went through and soldered them all because half the crimps were loose.

That is why I paid a little extra for the harness from the guy over on IFSJA. He solders his connectors. If the connections at the headlight connector are not soldered, the crimp will loosen over time due to the heat/cool cycle. You definitely at least want those connectors soldered.

Back