• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

GoPro Questions

Cottontail

Three-De Off-Road
I have one of the original old GoPro Hero cameras and it is time to upgrade. I am looking at the newer style Hero ($129) and the Hero3 ($200).

I don't need all the features, but would like to be able to control the camera through the iPhone app that the company discusses on their website. I pretty much just use the camera for vehicle mounts off road, occasionally in the pool, and, if I get to ski this winter, will use it then.

Anyone have any experience with the newer GoPro camera and the WiFi and the remotes and the app?

Just looking for some guidance - Thanks!

The wifi is nice but if you leave it turned on, it kills your battery pretty quick. You Have to remember to turn off the wifi manually otherwise it will stay on even with the camera off (Hero 3).
I have found this out the hard way accidently leaving it on, getting to my destination thinking im fully charged and the battery is dead. I tend to not use my wifi anymore except when Im setting up the view so i know how its going to end up. I then immediately turn off the wifi and just start the video by pushing the button. its basically cheaper than the lcd backpack imo and thats all i really use it for anymore; to set up my shots and change my settings easier.

I bought the 3 silver and glad i picked it up over the 2.

I got the GPH3 Black edition for my bday last year. Been happy with it. I like the wifi ability.
I would consider a spare battery, or maybe even the "usb mod" that still enables you to use the waterproof case. Then you do not have to worry about it dying.
Make sure you use an extreme or ultra mSD card,

I have a GoPro3 "white". I bike, 'wheel, and occasionally use it as a dashcam. Any time I use it vehicle mounted, I plug it in for power.

My main complaint is the low battery life. Considering the size of the battery, this isn't because it's low quality, it's just small. I get about 45-50 minutes of video on average before it dies. One really irritant with the hero is if the battery dies, all camera settings (date/time/etc) are lost, and the 2-button setup is a pain. Probably no room for a capacitor or small backup battery on the board, so I can't call it a flaw.

If I was getting a new one today, I'd get the low line Hero model simply for the repositioned memory card and USB port locations.

When you inevitably cut the case to run a USB cable for power, you don't need a whole new case to go swimming, just a new back The white edition came with 2 case backs, but because of the usb configuration, the hole has to be cut into the side of the case, not the access door.

The revised location of the memory card slot on the hero allows you to remove the card without removing the camera from the case. As long as you can open the door, you don't have to mess up the mount location and then re-aim it just to get the memory card out. (After you try to download a video with a USB cable, you'll understand why getting to the memory card is important.)

Wi-Fi control isn't something I've messed with. The white has it but I've never attempted to use it.

Back