• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Getting hot glue off tile

bradleyheathhays

NAXJA Forum User
I've got some plastic attached to glazed tile with the high temp hot glue sticks and I need to get it all off to make like new again. Any suggestions for getting hot glue off tile? I'm thinking flash freeze the glue with an upside down turned can of something, spewing out the propellant, and then quickly scrape with a plastic spatula or mud knife. Not sure what product in a can I should use though.

Any other ideas?

I would hit it with a heat gun to soften the glue, and then scrape it off with a plastic putty knife, or similar. A hair dryer on high might work, too.

I would hit it with a heat gun to soften the glue, and then scrape it off with a plastic putty knife, or similar. A hair dryer on high might work, too.

And then acetone to dissolve residue.

OR

Paint thinner or some other penetrant. It will work its way in between the glue and the tile.

Cold might be better than heat. Heat will soften it, but while that will make it easier to get the majority off, the remnant will be even harder to remove. OTOH, that small of a remnant might respond well to a solvent. Heat plus solvent might be a solution. Just make sure the finish on the tile is not going to also be removed by the solvent.

As to the cold process, Compressed air in a can would probably be the simplest, safest option. I haven't looked for that in a while, but I know it used to be out there for blowing dust out of electronics. I expect it is still available. The next question is how much glue do you need to remove? If it is a lot then cost may become an issue. I would wonder if an air compressor with a spray nozzle would work. Probably need a small orifice. What would it take to adapt an orifice tube from an AC system? (just thinking out loud)

If we are talking about glazed ceramic tile then a razor blade can be used. scrape around the edges of the glue pivoting the blade in arcs around the edges will lift them enough for a good penetrant applied may do it.

Cold, sharp wood chisel; no burrs or Knicks; and a light touch with a hammer. Keep the chisel at as low an angle as the handle will allow.

ETA: If its the "moisture curing" hot melt out of a heated cartridge...learn to live with it. :D

Last edited:
Back