• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Getting around in 2ft of snow in DC

tacottle

NAXJA Forum User
Once again my daily driver, one owner Cherokee Sport (Up Country) saw me through a major blizzard (over 24 inches in our area) in the Washington DC area. I didn't take it down any unplowed roads but where the plows had made a pass or someone in something bigger had gone first, I was not hindered in going. And I unstuck a couple of AWD sedans (no ground clearance and the wrong tires). The only "rats" was when the radiator developed a couple of pinhole leaks (noticed some florescent green spots in the snow) and I had to put it in the shop Monday.

I keep thinking I need to get a new vehicle, but I never can think of what, so I just keep it.

I had zero problems getting around the area in my stock '96 XJ with only all season stock sized tires on it. XJs are amazing due to the ground clearance and ability to lock the transfer case. I had to run my step daughter to the ER during the height of the storm on Saturday evening. The plows had made only one pass on my side street, so I had to get through a good 8 or 9" if snow to get to our neighborhood's main drag. It was one of the few times that I've owned a vehicle with an NP231 that I had to leave it in Part-Time 4x4 the entire drive.

Here's a picture of the conditions I was working with Saturday afternoon. I had shoveled the driveway probably 3 or 4 times already at this point:

2edv5fn.jpg

Last edited:
Mine was a trooper as well. 94 with 3 inches of lift and 30's made it through the 18 inches of snow that accumulated on my small little culdesac uphill road. (only one way to get the the main road... uphill)+(we get plowed last). had to drive my gf's grandparents to the hospital. never got stuck.

They must hae done a great job of clearing the streets, because I flew into DC on Monday and drove all over town, including side streets up near the Armed Forces Retirement Home, in a Chevy Equanox and had no issues at all.

Mine did well too. Stock 96 sport NP231. I only measured seven inches at the deepest in my yard (we got more than that but some melted between snows) but we had a lot of ice with snow packed on top of it on the highway. I tried going up a hill in 2wd on Wednesday before last morning just to see how well the studded tires would do and I quickly lost traction. 4WD all the way for my 20 mile commute that day. That was the most use my part time 4WD had seen in a while.

Back