• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gears for towing 5k#

So is the consensus that on flat ground OD is OK, shift into 3rd for hills, and go for 4.56 gears, but don't expect an improvement in gas mileage?

I may not have explained it clear. My first 99 was all stock with the 215/75/15 tires and I could use overdrive. My 92 with 31's there was no way I could use od 3rd all the way.

Like badron posted down size your lift and tires would be way cheaper then gears

Holy cow!!! I couldn't imagine a 24ft RV on the back of a tiny little unibody Cherokee. There's no weight to the Cherokee, getting a cross wind would kill you. One of those tandem axle Uhauls full was more than I wanted on the back of mine going down the highway. Anything larger than a utility trailer or a pop up camper and I would use a 1/2 ton truck for long distance.

But did you have a load leveling hitch with duel sway control and tandem axle trailer brakes?

Those are what you need to properly tow any trailer over 2000lbs

Dave

I'm running 2" of lift right now - I actually have a spare set of 235/75 LT15 tires and wheels that I can swap on if I really want. They're old and pretty harsh on the road though. I'm still running both sway bars - this isn't really a trail rig, I've got another XJ for that with serious lift and tires. BTW the boat is a 20' 7" V-hull Sea Ray on a tandem axle trailer.

I've always heard that 3rd gear (1:1 ratio) was the most mechanically robust gear for a transmission. Do you guys think it's smart to run OD towing this much weight? I've heard of a lot of people toasting trannies in 1/2 ton pickups by towing in OD, but from all I've read the AW-4 is a really strong gear box for the application.

So would 4.56 in OD be better than 3.55 in 3rd - as far as drivetrain is concerned.

4.10s will put you to about stock gearing with 31" tires. 4.56 will leave you winding out the motor pretty good but with power to spare.
and yes, the XJ is rated to tow 5000 lbs.
Make sure you have a good tranny cooler on it.

Today I saw a cherokee pulling a Tundra Quad Cab on a tow dolly on the freeway. he was in the slow lane doing about 55mph but it had to have been a 6000lb load. I sure hope he has a tranny cooler.

Back