• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gear whine on slowdown

d10shun

NAXJA Forum User
I just installed 4:56 gears in my d30 and and d35 on my 95. Yukon gears, Timken bearings. Driving home after the install, coasting from 30 to zero I hear a very noticable wind down whine. There is not other noise besides that.

Is this too loose or too tight backlash? We set up the rear so many times, I do not remember the backlash setting we got on the final set up, maybe 12 thousandths. I know the pattern wasn't that great but we got fed up :cry:

And I think there is a teeny tiny itty bitty issue about not putting a crush washer in.

IMPORTANT QUESTION BELOW- PLEASE ANSWER!

CAN I LIVE WITH THIS NOISE? WILL MY REAR EXPLODE? GEAR LIFE? :cry:

I REALLY do not want to take this apart for the 90th time. :cry:
Ben

Just talked to my father, who taught drivetrain at a trade school for 30 years. He said that if you didn't hear the noise under acceleration you are problebly ok. Also he said that 12 thousands is a little high and if your pinion depth was off..which it sounds like it was if you didn't have a good gear pattern then you WILL get noise. Loose is better then tight though so you are problebly ok for awhile.

How will this affect gear life? Does this just mean the pinion is contacting the ring in a loose manner? Our coast pattern was good but I am afraid to talk about the drive pattern. - 24 hour install - No sleep makes you do crappy work.

The drive pattern is more important than the coast pattern. You can run it like that, but gear life will be shortened. By how much? I don't have a clue. Search for RawBrown and drop him a PM, he'll set you straight.

jeepguy97 said:
You didn't install the crush sleeve??!!!! If I am understanding this correctly you didn't install the crush sleeve and that will throw it all off.
Ditto,that wont work!Thats the same noise youll get without enough pinion beraring pre-load!Take back apart and do it right,gears are nothing to just "slap" together!

If your axle is stock, ('95) it doesn't use a crush sleeve. A HP30 uses shims for preload, and a LP uses a crush sleeve.

BillR said:
If your axle is stock, ('95) it doesn't use a crush sleeve. A HP30 uses shims for preload, and a LP uses a crush sleeve.
But the Dana 35 in the rear still uses a crush sleeve, doesn't it? I missed that part of the original post ... yeah, if it's running with no preload it won't last long.

OK...
I saw the "30 to 0" and I thought he was talking about the Dana 30.
My bad! :dunce: ;)

Eagle said:
But the Dana 35 in the rear still uses a crush sleeve, doesn't it? I missed that part of the original post ... yeah, if it's running with no preload it won't last long.
Yup we did my buddies 97 with a Dana35 Crush sleave is there baby. And ummm...yeah...needs to be there and tightend Right or no workie righty

Back