• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gatlinburg

That would be like the IRS, but, unless the rules have changed, there is probably a $10K tax free gift limit. So if it is 6 months = $6K then there should not be a tax on it. If some of that income is 2016 and some of of 2017 that may also be a factor.

I expect Dolly has tax advisers who know what is the best way to proceed with this.

If you have a loss, it will offset any income.

Really unfortunate that this happened. Out West fire is more or less expected. You just don't expect to see it in major population centers. The way these fires are ripping through the Southern Appalachians is really unprecedented. The Blue Ridge & Smoky Mountains are a natural treasure. Even if you never got out of your car in Smoky Mountain National Park you can tell its different. The forest has a unique smell to it. Old growth hard wood that has never been cut... trees 8 feet wide or more.

SEVIERVILLE -- Authorities have made two arrests -- both teenagers -- in last week's deadly wildfires.

Authorities made the announcement Wednesday during an afternoon news conference at the Sevier County Courthouse.

The teens remain in custody in Sevier County, charged with aggravated arson, said Jimmy Dunn, 4th Judicial District attorney general. They await a bond hearing in Juvenile Court and could be transferred to Criminal Court if prosecutors move to try them as adults.

"Everything is on the table," Dunn said.

He refused to give any details about the case, including the teens' ages or genders, except that "they are from Tennessee -- not from Sevier County."

Most cases within the park are federal, but the U.S. Attorney's office was a consultant and deferred the case to Dunn.

Sara Reynolds, a youth services officer in Sevier County Juvenile Court, wouldn't provide a copy of the petition charging either teen. State law typically denies public access to juvenile records, except in certain cases such as murder or rape. Arson isn't on the list.

Those court records would become public if the case were transferred to Criminal Court.

Agents of the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation and of the U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives have worked around the clock since last week on the case.

The TBI has operated a hotline to coordinate reports of people missing since last week's firestorm that ravaged Gatlinburg and surrounding areas, killing 14 people and injuring nearly 150 others. The flames damaged or destroyed more than 1,700 homes and businesses.

The National Park Service has said the fire that began on the Chimney Tops trail in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park before spreading to Gatlinburg appeared to have been "human-caused." The NPS Investigative Branch Services, along with the ATF, has sought information from every person who hiked or knew someone who hiked in the area on Nov. 23, when the fire was first reported.

"The public was critical to getting investigators something to work with," said Steve Kloster, the park's chief ranger.

I call them professional thieves and rank them right up there with politicians and lawyers.

Many are under-insured, many have no insurance.

The IRS will do nothing, these people lost everything and many of them have no jobs now.

Even the rental cabin owners and hotel owners will report losses for several years.

Many will not be able to rebuild as their lands/lots are now non-conforming.

Septics are another matter, we'll have to see what the health department does with this.

Many of these homes were built 30-40 years ago, at the time most of them would have amounted to a $80,000 home, today, that same home may cost $275,000 to rebuild. I doubt these people can afford that.

At any rate, this will take a long time to sort out.

I read it on the news, but this brings it into perspective - thanks for posting!

The houses reminded me of pictures of burned out places you see in history books with the foundation and the chimney being the only standing structures left.

The 3/4 engine with everything burned away so it looked like a cut-away was telling of how hot that vehicle got.

As others noted, the seeming randomness of it.
House gone to the foundation and in the yard, the power pole standing and apparently not even scorched.

A 15 and 17 year old have been arrested. They were lighting matches and tossing them on the trail. Another hiker realized they took a picture of them and turned the photo over to the authorities. Currently charged with Aggravated Arson. Felony murder is being considered. 17 year old can be charged as adult. 15 year old can if felony murder is attached and the juvenile court allows. 17 year old is the son of a county sheriff employee.

A 15 and 17 year old have been arrested. They were lighting matches and tossing them on the trail. Another hiker realized they took a picture of them and turned the photo over to the authorities. Currently charged with Aggravated Arson. Felony murder is being considered. 17 year old can be charged as adult. 15 year old can if felony murder is attached and the juvenile court allows. 17 year old is the son of a county sheriff employee.

Please share your source as I haven't seen this information yet. I have mixed feelings about appropriate punishment for this terrible tragedy. I still call East Tennessee home even though I don't live there right now.

Last edited:
My source was the 12/10/17 Tennessean newspaper....page 12a.

Please share your source as I haven't seen this information yet. I have mixed feelings about appropriate punishment for this terrible tragedy. I still call East Tennessee home even though I don't live there right now.

Local media/social media. Wife read me the same information yesterday.

If they go for a murder charge and I was on the jury, they would not get a conviction out of me.

The air here still smells like a morning-after campground, but Gatlinburg is certainly in full swing.

Fire is a curious thing. Burns down one building and doesn't even touch the one next to it...

Back