• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Frustrating Conversation of the Week

Eagle

Lifetime NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
Background: More than a year ago I bought a jump starter pack from Wal-Mart. Worked fine for a year and a half. Recently, in getting the '84 Waggy running for Grizzley's daughter (yeah, right -- like Griz is going to let HER drive it!), it died. Totally dead -- would not take a charge, multi-meter across the terminals of the unit and the battery itself showed no continuity. No resistance, no voltage ... nada.

The battery had a fax number on it so I faxed to ask about diagnosis, and the availability of replacement betteries. No response. Finally found a web site for the company, with a different fax number, so I wrote again. This time I got a message back saying to call an 800 number.

This afternoon I called. The young woman with whom I spoke was friendly enough, but it was obvious that they had not provided her scripts for dealing with anyone who wants to actually repair something.

First, I should not open the unit, I should send it in for service. Oops ... too late, I already have the battery out and sitting here on my desk. Then we established that the unit is out of warranty anyway. So they do sell replacement batteries. Cost is $20, plus $15 shipping. The unit cost $39.95 new. So for four more dollars I can go into my loacl Wally World and just buy an entire unit.

Then I made the mistake of asking if she had any idea of why it might fail so totally. #1 -- temperature extremes. Nope ... I always stored it indoors, in the basement. Temperature range all year is from about 55 to 65.

#2 -- over charged. Nope, always charged it according to the instructions, and it was working fine until it cut out just as I was using it.

#3 -- undercharged. Hmm ... see response to #2.

#4 -- "What model do you have?" HP250. "That model isn't recommended for large vehicles." So, is a Jeep a large vehicle? "Yes." Then why does the box show a picture of a Jeep if the unit inside the box isn't suitable for starting a Jeep? "That's just our standard advertising picture. You need the model HP450." Wal-Mart doesn't carry the HP450, this is the only one they sell. "Yes, they do."

At that point I gave up. I've looked at these things over the course of about three years, both before and after buying mine, and the ONLY one I have seen at any Wal-Mart in Connecticut is the one I have, which sells for $39.95. Maybe they sell a larger model in other parts of the world, but not around here. It's obvious that the thing suffered an internal failure and the customer "service" department has not a single clue how to deal with that.

The moral is, if you're thinking about buying one of these things ... go to an auto parts store and buy a good one.

After a year and half? hahahaha Eagle, sorry that happened to you. Could a motorcycle battery replace it or is it smaller than that?

And she will too get to drive it. Next time we go off-road and we're behind you. :D

Post a picture of the battery and I bet I can find one for you. Digikey and Mouser both carry a fair selection of batteries. I actually have access to tons of batteries so get the pix and lets see what we can cook up.

The really sad thing is is that the jump boxes are REALLY CHEAP, but a replacement battery usually costs more than the whole DAMN THING !! :badpc:

Grizzley said:
And she will too get to drive it. Next time we go off-road and we're behind you. :D
Be sure to let me know if you need help with the brakes! :sunshine:

Back