• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

front drive shafts

In my experience, all front driveshafts are the same as long as they come from the same driveline.

Example: 4.0L and AW4 engine combo. Transfer case won't matter.

I've pulled driveshafts from late model 97-01 XJ's and used them in my '88. I made sure I pulled all of them from XJ's that had the 4.0L engine and AW4 transmission since that is what I have in my 1988.

I know 5 speed driveshafts are a different length than those with an automatic.

All domestic XJs used D30 front axles. The only differences between them that affect the driveshaft length are the engine and transmission, since their length affects the position of the transfer case and thus the front output shaft. There might have been a yoke change or something trivial in the first couple of years but that is only .2 inches

ok good to know. i recently swapped a 242 in place of the 231 and i think i have a vibration from the front drive shaft. i may just put in a posi lock in place of the vacuum cad. and call it a day. or grab a front drive shaft of something newer.

ok good to know. i recently swapped a 242 in place of the 231 and i think i have a vibration from the front drive shaft. i may just put in a posi lock in place of the vacuum cad. and call it a day. or grab a front drive shaft of something newer.

I just put a Tom Woods in mine. I went through several that were "gently used" and kept having issues. Got sick of dealing with shafts that had issues and called TW. I had the shaft the next day. It doesn't hurt that they are down the street from me, but they have free shipping.

I just put a Tom Woods in mine. I went through several that were "gently used" and kept having issues. Got sick of dealing with shafts that had issues and called TW. I had the shaft the next day. It doesn't hurt that they are down the street from me, but they have free shipping.

And you don't have anymore problems, do you?

No, you don't. And I don't either.

I too have a TWs, and will again when I swap to a different trans.

The games people play.

Back