• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ford 7.3 IDI w/ Banks kit - thoughts?

GoSlowGetStuck

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
I sold my 01 PSD a while back to expedite some housing changes and I've been limping along with a 96 Ram 1/2 ton for a while, but I've been down the 1/2 ton road before and I'd prefer to have a diesel again for the longer trips with the Jeep and trailer. Looking for a crew cab diesel, 4x4 isn't terribly important to me anymore, SRW or DRW is fine, auto or manual doesn't matter.

I'm trying to avoid going into debt for the purchase so a 25k PSD, Dmax, or Cummins isn't even on my radar. The older Cummins seem to be made of gold (and are not really "crew cab") and I don't have the patience for the quirks of the Chevy 6.5TD, so I've been looking for an OBS Powerstroke. Even these seem to be fairly expensive lately.

However I did run across a 93 dually, 7.3 IDI with the Banks sidewinder turbo kit. I don't know anything about these kits, but assume having a turbo makes the IDI a little more peppy. I've read up on the 7.3 PSDs and Super Duties quite a bit but these older trucks are a mystery to me.

Worth a look, or run away? What questions should I be asking, or what should I be looking for? What (if any) are the common failure points on the older Ford trucks like this?

I bought a 94 IDI with a factory turbo about 4 months ago with zero knowledge of them. The motors themselves are pretty bullet proof from what i have heard, but I've heard that heat in the auto tranny is a problem. My truck moves alot better than what I was expecting when i bought it compared to the NA 6.9 IDI i have driven in the past. It still sucks on long hills while towing and the mileage isn't anything to write home about (11-13 loaded or not)

The add on turbo kits for the NA 7.3's were restricted pretty severely for boost. About 8 pounds is what I've read, until you blow the headgaskets. It will certainly help, but you won't see the performance that you would on a 7.3 that was redesigned for a factory turbo.

The kit is pretty expensive, so depending on what the price of the truck is, it might be a deal. If you can find a later 7.3 with a factory turbo for the same price, I would go in that direction.

Me and Nate are trying to figure out how to get more performance out of the 7.3 in the uhaul, but the turbo kit is cost prohibitive. The money you would spend putting it in isn't outweighed by the performance.

If you get a factory turbo 7.3, they really like the intercooler from a 6.0. There's some modification involved, but I had a friend put one in for about $200.

my brothers got a 7.3 idi factory turbo, Hes pulled a 30ft camper with no issues and hes on 36s. They do the job not as fast as a newer powerstroke but itll do it. I have a 97 f250 7.3 powerstroke and its definatly more powerful and a little better on fuel. As for both its the transmissions you have to watch. As billy said keep the heat out of em, run a nice cooler and definatly get yourself a gauge on it.

it's bombproof.

it's slow

it will run on waste oil no problems

choose your priorities.

If you get a factory turbo 7.3, they really like the intercooler from a 6.0. There's some modification involved, but I had a friend put one in for about $200.

By factory turbo I assume you mean the later model Powerstrokes. And since the pre-99 ones don't have an intercooler at all I'm thinking you've got a good idea there.

I have a 97 f250 7.3 powerstroke and its definatly more powerful and a little better on fuel. As for both its the transmissions you have to watch.

Do the 94-97 trucks have the E4OD? My 01 was a 4R100 truck and I always waited for it to pop but it held up well. Sounds like trans cooler + gauge is cheap insurance on the older transmissions. For the time being I'll just be hauling my 16' trailer with the Jeep on it but as funds allow I'll probably buy a two-place at some point.

it's slow

it will run on waste oil no problems

Not sure I want to get into the waste oil game, but then again I just don't know enough about it. I imagine on a truck with two tanks it's a bit easier as you can switch to WVO after you're up to temp?

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I'm certainly not trying to get a speed demon of a truck, but if it's a whole lot slower than my 01 PSD was then I will probably be a little frustrated and try to find ways to make it go faster. And it sounds like I can't if I'm limited by the low boost that the engine can handle.

It may be a moot point, I found a 97 CCLB dually for about the same price (surprisingly?) and I'm going to take a look at that tonight. Unsure on mileage but at this point I'm just trying to get a diesel, four doors, and stay out of debt.

By factory turbo I assume you mean the later model Powerstrokes. And since the pre-99 ones don't have an intercooler at all I'm thinking you've got a good idea there.

Do the 94-97 trucks have the E4OD? My 01 was a 4R100 truck and I always waited for it to pop but it held up well. Sounds like trans cooler + gauge is cheap insurance on the older transmissions. For the time being I'll just be hauling my 16' trailer with the Jeep on it but as funds allow I'll probably buy a two-place at some point.

Not sure I want to get into the waste oil game, but then again I just don't know enough about it. I imagine on a truck with two tanks it's a bit easier as you can switch to WVO after you're up to temp?

It may be a moot point, I found a 97 CCLB dually for about the same price (surprisingly?) and I'm going to take a look at that tonight. Unsure on mileage but at this point I'm just trying to get a diesel, four doors, and stay out of debt.
When i say factory turbo I mean pre powerstoke IDI they were made for a few years 94 being one which is what my brothers is.

94-97 trucks do have the E4OD which if built right its reliable.. Mine has an off the shelf heavy duty converter and a stock rebuild and has 0 issues... most of the issues with these trans are the converters.

I myself have never ran my truck on waste oil and probably never will because i know nothing about it.

Good luck on your hunt, it took me over a month of looking everyday for my powerstroke and I got it for 3800 with 110k and a fresh trans with zero rot..

When i say factory turbo I mean pre powerstoke IDI they were made for a few years 94 being one which is what my brothers is.

94-97 trucks do have the E4OD which if built right its reliable.. Mine has an off the shelf heavy duty converter and a stock rebuild and has 0 issues... most of the issues with these trans are the converters.

I myself have never ran my truck on waste oil and probably never will because i know nothing about it.

Good luck on your hunt, it took me over a month of looking everyday for my powerstroke and I got it for 3800 with 110k and a fresh trans with zero rot..

You got a good deal... of course looking for a CC in an older truck makes the search a little more difficult. I don't think I pulled off a deal as good as yours, but I picked up a 97 CCLB 2WD dually for $5k. No rust, everything works on it, but the mileage is unknown as the LCD odometer doesn't display anything. It might have been better that way, so I wasn't running away from a solid vehicle just because of miles.

The trans seems to shift very firm, I'm not sure if that's indicative of a problem, or perhaps the trans has been beefed up a little. Going to get a gauge to keep an eye on it anyway.

299262_10100709618061648_13704148_61836551_3639099_n.jpg

Let me know if you want to put the intercooler in it. The Marine that did it is deployed with me. If I recall, it was fairly easy, but he might have some tips.

It really drops the intake temps, which you can compensate for with fuel :)

Looks like a fair deal to me! my trans shifts firm too due to raised line pressure, maybe yours has a shift kit in it already?

Let me know if you want to put the intercooler in it. The Marine that did it is deployed with me. If I recall, it was fairly easy, but he might have some tips.

It really drops the intake temps, which you can compensate for with fuel :)

Id love to hear how he does it so cheap

Id love to hear how he does it so cheap

I'm curious to know as well, though I'm not sure how soon I'll get to it. I think trans cooler / gauge / exhaust will be higher on the list first. From what I've read the intercooler definitely helps with the EGTs but isn't a must have until putting down more power, which I'll probably never do. Still I think it makes a lot of sense to have one, and anything that makes the engine work easier is a good thing in my book.

get yourself a 3" MBRP down pipe they can be had for around 100 bucks follow that up with 4" exhaust throw in a chip (I run TS Performance) theyre are several out there and get or make yourself a better flowing intake look up tymar intake. The chip is worth it alone for the way it made my trans shift. It gave it a much nicer more solid shift

I've talked to him and I forgot that he had a '99. I think (don't quote me) that the 99-03 model years had the smaller 7.3 intercooler and he replaced it with the larger 6.0 intercooler.

So he had $200 in the intercooler, that he picked up on the internet and had shipped to the house, but most of the other stuff was already in there. If you have an earlier 7.3 (94-98 I think) you won't have the piping in there from the factory intercooler.

Still, turbo piping is turbo piping. If you can find an intercooler for not a lot of money, you can still run the piping through the intercooler with some effort. I do remember that there was a little body cutting involved to mount it. I don't know the difference between the earlier body style and the later one.

Sorry if I mislead anyone. Going to the bigger intercooler on a truck that already has one is easier than putting one in a truck that does not.

I've talked to him and I forgot that he had a '99. I think (don't quote me) that the 99-03 model years had the smaller 7.3 intercooler and he replaced it with the larger 6.0 intercooler.

So he had $200 in the intercooler, that he picked up on the internet and had shipped to the house, but most of the other stuff was already in there. If you have an earlier 7.3 (94-98 I think) you won't have the piping in there from the factory intercooler.

Still, turbo piping is turbo piping. If you can find an intercooler for not a lot of money, you can still run the piping through the intercooler with some effort. I do remember that there was a little body cutting involved to mount it. I don't know the difference between the earlier body style and the later one.

Sorry if I mislead anyone. Going to the bigger intercooler on a truck that already has one is easier than putting one in a truck that does not.

It will be worth it even if you don't turn it up (which you will). I intercooled the 6.5 and it made a big difference in my IATs, which in turn helped EGTs. It was kind of a pain plumbing it since the 6.5 was never factory intercooled, but certainly worth it.

Back