• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Flat tow 2wd '95 XJ?

Planetcat

NAXJA Forum User
Hey, I'm tempted to pickup a 2wd 1995 XJ sport for cheap. This will be my third XJ, and I flat towed the other two and my YJ with a tow bar, but they were 4wd. Can I flat tow this 2wd XJ? If so, would I leave it in drive instead of park, since there is no transfer case? It will be a hunting rig, and taking the drive shaft on/off in wet winter is not something I have any desire to do. I would have to drive an hour to buy this thing and the seller doesn't have an owner's manual, so I can't ask him to look to see what Jeep says about it. If anyone has an owner's manual they can look at for me, I'd appreciate it. IIRC, the owner's manuals are the same for 2wd and 4wd XJ's and any 94-96 should cover it. Thanks in advance.

Pull the drive shaft, put it in neutral and you should be good to go.

According to the FSM, for 1995:

2WD VEHICLES
(1) Mark the drive shaft and the axle drive pinion
gear shaft yoke for installation alignment reference.
(2) Remove the drive shaft. Install a protective covering
over the drive shaft U-joints to retain them assembled
and protected.
(3) Cover the open end of the transmission extension
housing.

It goes on further to say that it may be towed with the front wheels lifted, under 30 mph, for no more than 15 miles.

The problem of course, is that the trans will burn up if towed with the rear wheels on the ground for any distance, since the trans can't be put in park as with a 4wd vehicle.

Their recommendation for towing is with the rear wheels lifted.

David Bricker / SYR

Well, since it's 2WD and the rear shaft is pulled it wouldn't even matter if the trans was in Park.

Well, since it's 2WD and the rear shaft is pulled it wouldn't even matter if the trans was in Park.

Correct. I was referring to 4wd towing practice, as the OP has done before, of putting the t-case in neutral and the trans in park. If you left the driveshaft in place, and the trans in park on a 2wd, I think you'd realize the error of your ways pretty quickly.

David Bricker / SYR

Back