• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Finally, I'm back

N8N_99xj

NAXJA Forum User
After fighting with an intermittent CEL on my '99 for over a year I finally took it to the best recommended electric shop in the area. After repairing a chafed wiring harness (which I'd told every place I took it to I suspected, but they all just wanted to keep replacing the MAP sensor) suddenly it was dead as a doornail. Bad PCM. Did the guy kill it while fixing the harness, or was there something wrong with it all along and the way the harness got screwed up it damaged it but something backfed so it'd still run? Who knows. Anyway, unfixable - we tried four different PCMs that were supposed to be right and none of them worked (well, the vehicle ran, but all threw a CEL for a leak detection pump that wasn't there.)

Saturday I finally got a Y2K XJ, this one actually has all the skid plates and HD suspension, cooling etc. that my old one did so I'm relieved that I don't have to transfer all that stuff over. It even has the 242 transfer case which I always wanted - my use is more "expedition" than "crawling." Just got legal plates this morning and registered for my tax sticker. Got lucky, it had been emissions tested less than a year ago so I didn't have to get T-plates and drive back and forth.

I know, this isn't an exciting story but it's been making me crazy not having two vehicles and having to hope it doesn't snow too bad so I get stuck in my BMW... and hey, this time around I actually have power locks and windows which is nice...

Back