• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fill / check plug on manual trans in '97 XJ?

JofCore

NAXJA Forum User
So I wanted to check the tranny fluid on my '97 XJ today (Sport, 4.0, 5spd manual), but I couldn't find the check/fill plug. According to the owner's manual, the fill plug is on the passenger side, near the top of the tranny, but I can't find anything that looks like the picture in the owner's manual.

From reading some posts on here, it sounds like the fill/check plug is actually on the driver's side. Also from reading posts on here it sounds like I have the AX15 transmission...

Does that sound about right? Is the check/fill plug the big bolt on the driver's side, about halfway up the case? Anyone have any pictures of where the fill/check plug is? I just want to make sure I have the right one before I start pulling plugs out :D

Thanx!

-kevin

Last edited:
Yes, AX15.

Photo: My Bad.

Last edited:
Thanx! Except... is that picture of the AX15 or the NSG370 transmission? Based on the comments and title of the post I'm confused..

My bad, Googled AX15 photos and grabbed that link--wrong box! :D

Do not use GL5 gear oil, btw. The sulfurs in it will slowly eat the synchros. The owners manual for some years even incorrectly called for GL5.

Current recommendations on this group are the Redline MTL or MTL90, AMSOIL, or Mobil 1 10W-30 synthetic motor oil.

Do not use GL5 gear oil, btw. The sulfurs in it will slowly eat the synchros. The owners manual for some years even incorrectly called for GL5.

Current recommendations on this group are the Redline MTL or MTL90, AMSOIL, or Mobil 1 10W-30 synthetic motor oil.

yah I found that out - read a bunch of other threads on here; glad I did before I went to try to top it off, otherwise I may have done just that! Thanx for the reminder though, I'm probably going to go w/Mobil1 synthetic I think.

thx!

Back