• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

FEELER: Maine or Virginia......

Rock2pus

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
So, NACFest is a lock for Carol and I this year, but I cant just sit around the rest of the time...here's two options: >>
#1...I've previously run a weekender with the Tidewater4Wheelers out of Virginia at Oak Ridge Estates.It's a 3 day run with mostly mild wheeling with some tough obstacles scattered throughout.They have a sat. nite dinner/bbq/bonfire and an awesome raffle. Great group of people and a big turnout, all held on a very old and very exclusive southern plantation property (this is the one time of year they open it to jeeps, solely to get their equestrian trails cut back for them)...I had a hell of a good time here, check it out if you get the chance.
#2....My granddad used to have a hunting cabin in Jackman, Maine that we would go to every summer when I was a kid. His idea of a good time was taking us all into the logging trails after sundown and wandering aimlessly in his early Bronco all night, and I'll never ever forget the first time we rounded a corner in the pitch black and there stood a bear or moose...craziness. I've found a few campgrounds around the Long Pond/ Moosehead lake area, and am considering a trip there to relive my youth...Theres plenty of camping, fishing, and I imagine wheeling there too....

I'm asking for honest opinions on these and also looking to guage whether there is any interest from other members in this...the Va. run isnt posted yet, but should be early September...If I go for Maine, it would be late August...
So Whatcha think?
Rich

Normally id say jackman, in laws are from there and when I'm visiting there are a ton of banged up xjs in town buuuuuuut. Since the lady that screwed over Burt (of burts bees) and made millions, she has bought up an assload of land up there and has booted all the little camps and such, she donated a couple hundred acres to the AMC and last time i talked to them they weren't too keen on my xj driving around.
Might still be fun, there are definately some cool roads up there in The unincorporated areas

Edit, if you go I can probably get you a free rental house on whetstone pond in abbot, its about 20 min east of moosehead on the greenville side

Last edited:
If you like the people, location, and event down in VA, why not head back down. Keep building those relationships and meet more new people.

If you like the people, location, and event down in VA, why not head back down. Keep building those relationships and meet more new people.

I don't think he is running for office... although if he was, he would probably pick you to be his campaign manager!!

I remember you telling me about the Va trip Rich, it sounds interesting.

I don't think he is running for office... although if he was, he would probably pick you to be his campaign manager!!

I remember you telling me about the Va trip Rich, it sounds interesting.

It would be easy to get Rich elected to office ........... you on the other hand, well that's a whole different ballgame.

Hehe...I avoid politics and political discussions like the plague...the old saying about Religion and Politics applies here. That said, I dont mind playin ambassador for the NAC, I know I'm sellin a good product.
The date for the VA event is still not up but Im keeping a close eye out. It works good for Carol's schedule (mine is a bit more flexible when it comes around holidays, and anywhere near Labor Day is a no-go for her)..The feeler was also to guage interest from within the NAC, and Maine kinda just popped up as an alternative. I havent been there in a long time and want to go back some time, but its no hurry.
The VA run is a 3 day wheeling and camping event, with a poker run thrown in to boot..your guide deals hands out during the course of each day for prizes..The raffle flat out kicked ass, and the bonfire/BBQ on Saturday was nothing short of amazing, there was so much good food it blew my mind. Also, the people couldnt have been friendlier and the wheeling and scenery were awesome as well. My mind can be swayed either way if there are any takers on coming along.
Rich

The NEA has Fall Crawl, typically early September. 3 day event, two wheeling. Sounds similar to the VA trip. Based out of Hancock NH. You just need to be a member of a NEA club and pay the Fall crawl admissions. A lot of us northern NACers do this one every year.

Rich, Maine is nice but i dont think you'll find the wheelin that you might have in VA. I have heard of Mount Adams that might be decent wheelin.. but thats all i know about it.

That said.. i friggin love the North Woods. I wasnt familiar with Jackman so i looked it up.. theres some great stuff in that area. I camped a bit further east out of Millinocket a few times, up in the Allagash is getting in deep enough to feel really remote. You could do the search for the trains and plane.. i'll let you start googling that. ;)

If you go this route i could turn you onto a few of my favorite spots.

Normally id say jackman, in laws are from there and when I'm visiting there are a ton of banged up xjs in town buuuuuuut. Since the lady that screwed over Burt (of burts bees) and made millions, she has bought up an assload of land up there and has booted all the little camps and such, she donated a couple hundred acres to the AMC and last time i talked to them they weren't too keen on my xj driving around.
Might still be fun, there are definately some cool roads up there in The unincorporated areas

Edit, if you go I can probably get you a free rental house on whetstone pond in abbot, its about 20 min east of moosehead on the greenville side

You sound informed on this. Whats the deal with that woman, i heard about the land grab and lockouts.. but how did she come into the money? Thats what keeps me from revisiting Baxter area, the no vehicle policy.

Baxter is a nice Park and cool hike to summit Katahdin (in my much younger days) maybe it should be protected as theres tons of other land up that way.

she bought some of the company from burt, who lives in monson or guilford can't remember but my wife always points out his house when we drive by it, then bought him out and sold the company for millions soon after, then she bought a shitload of the land up there so she could have a park named after her and basically became public enemy number one in the area, people who had camps there for decades were told they could no longer access the land

if you do go up there rich just remember the loggers have the right of way at all times, meaning they will not move over if they see you coming on the road

No trail cutting that's already been done by the host club before the event. And yes, it is similar event to nacfest....the property is huge and you are guided through it all over the course of the 3 days. The propertys history dates back to the 1600's. ,so you are basically touring a genuine southern plantation. There is even a slave cemetery hidden in the backwoods of the property. As to Maine, I more looked at that as a wildlife watching and overlanding type outing...I was looking perhaps to camp around moosehead lake or long pond and get some fishing in as well.
Rich

This is the same place that held Camp Jeep when it was ,,,,,in Va.Nice place to wheel..
Remember "Virginia is For Lovers"...

Agreed Wayne, great place to do a little wheeling, with a little historical aspect as well. I liked it a lot. We're probably going to do this one if they get the date set soon enough, Maine was my backup plan, but I'll be doing that too at some point regardless. Hopefuly, some of my NAC peeps will join us......?
Rich

I have no experience with VA, but I'm planning a backpacking trip to Maine for either the week before or the week after NAC Fest... Mt. Katahdin is calling my name. If you are looking to get away from civilization, Maine is your ticket. Not southern Maine, that's just northern MA. I'm talking way the f*ck up in the middle of no where. I don't know what VA has to offer, but that's what Maine has.

I have no experience with VA, but I'm planning a backpacking trip to Maine for either the week before or the week after NAC Fest... Mt. Katahdin is calling my name. If you are looking to get away from civilization, Maine is your ticket. Not southern Maine, that's just northern MA. I'm talking way the f*ck up in the middle of no where. I don't know what VA has to offer, but that's what Maine has.

If you do kahtadin, go up knife's edge, its a bitch going up saddleback then doing it tired, not much room for error, just ask the boyscouts

Good to know, thank you for the info.

As a naxja member in maine, we have alot to offer here for wheeling. The family and i spend alot of time up north from may till sept camping, atving and jeeping. Plum creek has several thousand acres open to outdoor rec. Thousands of jeep trails for exploring w rocky trails, water crossings and wilderness camping along with awesome fishing and scenery.

Back