• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Drying out screen?

bdahlg

NAXJA Forum User
Spilled about 6 ounce of hot black coffee DIRECTLY on my keyboard of my BlackBerry Bold on Wednesday morning right when I got into work. Took the battery out immediately, went home at lunch and soaked it in 91% alcohol and let it sit next to the heater until this morning.

It works fine, the screen is just all XXXXed up. Is there any way to get this excess moisture out from the screen or is it pretty much going to stay like this? I know there's a lot of tech guys here, so I figured I would ask.

Gracias

x2 on the rice. Seal it up with a bunch of rice in a ziplock baggie.

Thanks. I've read about the rice, I just don't see how it could possibly draw THAT much moisture out. I mean I guess it couldnt hurt to try, considering I definitely have rice lol. BTW, soaking it in rubbing alcohol worked wonders for getting rid of the coffee, just an fyi

Leave it in the rice for a couple of days and you will likely have a bag of coffee flavored rice, to go with your jacked up cell phone.

Might work, might not.....a few years ago I jumping into Lake Powell to help rescue a sinking watercraft, forgetting that my cell phone was in my shorts pocket. The rice trick dried out the phone and I could place and take calls, but the display screen never recovered.

Yea the phone works fine and normal. The screen just looks like shit

Rice seems to work wonders.. also thos little silicone packets that come in like shoe boxes work extremely well.. but I highly doubt you have a bunch of those laying around. But a buddy of mine a few years back went to walgreens and they had something that is for getting moisture out of phones. Its filled with those little silicone balls, so if you don't have a bunch of shoe boxes laying around, it wont hurt to go down to walgreens just to check. But about 2 weeks ago rice saved my moms iphone.

Get some DampRid refill from the hardware store and put it in a sealed container with the phone. Calcium chloride will be much more effective at absorbing moisture than rice.

Get some DampRid refill from the hardware store and put it in a sealed container with the phone. Calcium chloride will be much more effective at absorbing moisture than rice.

It would definitely be more effective and so would any dessicant (as thats what they do). Pretty sure calcium chloride is corrosive to electronics. It would probably eat my phone

it'lll be a far stretch to find a gun shop around here I feel like, being right outside of Boston and all. Maybe Dick's or Modell's or Sports Authority? Maybe some sort of silica dessicant would be my best option

Rice seems to work wonders.. also thos little silicone packets that come in like shoe boxes work extremely well.. but I highly doubt you have a bunch of those laying around. But a buddy of mine a few years back went to walgreens and they had something that is for getting moisture out of phones. Its filled with those little silicone balls, so if you don't have a bunch of shoe boxes laying around, it wont hurt to go down to walgreens just to check. But about 2 weeks ago rice saved my moms iphone.

CHICKLETS!

it'lll be a far stretch to find a gun shop around here I feel like, being right outside of Boston and all. Maybe Dick's or Modell's or Sports Authority? Maybe some sort of silica dessicant would be my best option

you can order dessicant online.

or you can find it in a science supply warehouse.

Yea, I was hopin for something quick and easy. It would be way too much of an effort for me to order anything offline; the stains would probably be permanant by the time it was shipped

Back