• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Do any Bilstein steering dampers fit a stock XJ?

lordoeuf

NAXJA Forum User
I've been having trouble finding a Bilstein part number for a steering damper for my 1999 XJ with stock steering. One poster on Amazon claimed that Bilstein part number 24-158428 fit a 1997 XJ, but the XJ is not listed as a vehicle supported by this part number. I was going to change out my ageing RE shocks to Bilsteins and figured I'd do the damper as well. Thanks.

Have you looked at Bilstein's own website/catalog? Might be worth a call or email to ask them directly.

The Bilstein website only shows front/rear suspension shocks for the Cherokee. Also curious that the 5160 is only available for 3-4" lift. I have filled out the web form requestion additional information.

Bilstein returned my inquiry. They don't have a steering damper for the Jeep Cherokee. I guess I'll go with Fox 2.0 IFP for the damper, unless someone thinks they are too stiff? I'm targeting best street performance rather than off-road. The street I do my daily driving on is full of potholes. I was also going to put on the Bilstein B8 5100 monotubes for 5-6" lift. I have Rubicon Express springs front/rear and they are pretty stiff compared to stock springs.

My Jeep has 5.5" of lift total, but in the rear, I swapped out the lower shock perches for ones that are 1" shorter so they are less likely to hit rocks. I guess in terms of what the shock sees, my rear has 4.5" of lift. This falls right between the 5100's for 3-4" lift and those for 5-6" of lift. I guess I should go for the ones with 5-6" in the rear as well?

I remember when I had OME shocks, they ran great for about 2 years, then wore out. Not sure if this translates equally to stabilizer wear. Nobody try the Fox steering stabilizer?

I don't even remember how long I've had my Rancho, probably close to 20yrs.

You can test it, if it feels good run it, they are only a band-aid anyway.

I am running the OME stabilizer for about 2 years. If you have larger tires, you might want to run the WJ stabilizer. I have also run the Tenneco that IRO sells. It held up to DW, and still was tight. Also, check out Kevin's Off-road.

Bilstein returned my inquiry. They don't have a steering damper for the Jeep Cherokee. I guess I'll go with Fox 2.0 IFP for the damper, unless someone thinks they are too stiff? I'm targeting best street performance rather than off-road. The street I do my daily driving on is full of potholes. I was also going to put on the Bilstein B8 5100 monotubes for 5-6" lift. I have Rubicon Express springs front/rear and they are pretty stiff compared to stock springs.

My Jeep has 5.5" of lift total, but in the rear, I swapped out the lower shock perches for ones that are 1" shorter so they are less likely to hit rocks. I guess in terms of what the shock sees, my rear has 4.5" of lift. This falls right between the 5100's for 3-4" lift and those for 5-6" of lift. I guess I should go for the ones with 5-6" in the rear as well?

If you can find a Rancho rs7000mt I’d recommend that stabilizer or you could try their new line rs7mt.. my XJ has a 3” zone lift with rs7000mt on the corners and the stabilizer and it handles amazing on road.. slightly stiff but it runs true

Just wanted to throw my $0.02 in here. I'm a basically stock XJ running 225s with the Moog SSD107 stabilizer. I've had it for about a year now with no issues. I did get the $20 Monroe one the first time around and it lasted about 3 years before blowing out a seal.

I am a little skeptical of the Moog stabilizer. It has no brand markings on it anywhere and comes in a completely generic box. Others have experienced this but supposedly that's how it's supposed to be. Not sure how it will hold up but I suppose time will tell.

I run the Tenneco stabilizer, 2 years with no problems.

I bought a FOX stabilizer, which stated it was for XJs, on craigslist, but it did not have enough travel for me so I had to resell it.

I had a Pro comp that went bad and was having trouble getting a warranty exchange because Pro comp stop making stuff for jeeps but Rubicon express is the same company so I got them to send a Rubicon express steering stabilizer. I was driving my XJ with out one for months , now that I have a Rubicon express steering stabilizer it works very good and they are not that expensive .

I am a little skeptical of the Moog stabilizer. It has no brand markings on it anywhere and comes in a completely generic box. Others have experienced this but supposedly that's how it's supposed to be. Not sure how it will hold up but I suppose time will tell.

Oem packaging. Why waste money on fancy packaging and holograms to impress the mechanics installing it.

Back