• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

diesel tech vs. auto tech need advice!

dachacho

NAXJA Forum User
Whats up guys, ive been thinking about my career alot lately and i need some 3rd party help. A little bit of background, im 20 years old and i currently work as a level 1 tech at my local jeep chrysler dodge dealer mainly doing oil changes, tires, brakes, new vehicle inspections and used car repairs. My higher ups want to move me up as soon as they can because they can see i have the natural mechanical talent but EVERY single veteran tech says get the hell out of this business fast. I will admit i have leaned toward moving up here because yes im good at it and it would be easiest. Plus i liked the thought of not having to travel for work for some reason but that is wearing off. My best friend who i grew up working on cars with is about done with his diesel and heavy machinery degree and he says i should pursue the same trade. it would take me 15+ months to graduate and actually get in the field and by then i could be close to master tech for chrysler. its kind of a get paid now/sooner but not make as much over 10 years vs. make dirt for another year and a half and then make more than i probably ever would as a auto tech. Im just really torn on the whole thing and would really appreciate some real world experiences or insights. general random thoughts are welcomed . Thanks guys!

I don't know jack about the diesel/auto tech business, but you nailed it on the head here:

its kind of a get paid now/sooner but not make as much over 10 years vs. make dirt for another year and a half and then make more than i probably ever would as a auto tech.

No questions, go to school now while you're young and don't have a lot of responsibilites/expenses, do the time and get the degree. Ask anyone who's gone back to school in their late 20's/early 30's because they were sick of their job how much of a pain in the ass it is...:lecture:

@souske
that is very true, in addition to people not wanting to spend $ on their cars as it is warranty protection is taking over and cars now are covered bumper to bumper at times for up to 100k or 6-10 years, warranty pays the tech SIGNIFICANTLY less and its the more experienced ones who get fed all of the bs warranty work because of their certifications

I'm a 20 year tech, the last 15+ spent at Chrysler dealerships. My only advice is to pick something you like to do. Yeah, the business is pretty screwed up right now but there is a shortage of good/qualified young techs. The biggest problem right now is the dealers are stuck in the old school mindset and have not embraced the new way that the business is going. The manufacturers are requiring less maintenance and the cars are being built better with less problems. But as the cars are getting more complex they are becoming increasingly difficult to diagnose and repair. So there is less demand for low skill guys who can only change oil and do service work, but a higher demand for the true skill guys who can actually diagnose and fix a car. Ask yourself where you fit in. Can you fix cars, do you like fixing cars, do you like your job. If any of the 3 answers is NO, then you should pursue other employment and training oppotunities while you are young. Once you get stuck counting on a certain level of income it is very difficult to start at the ground level with a different career.

Get the degree….. That would be an associate’s degree, right? It also makes it easier to finish up with a bachelors if you so desire later on.

I went to school for a 4 year bachelors for an automotive based degree (as well as masters) and am 100% happy I did.

Also most auto programs will push/ require ASEs, DO THEM, I walked out ASE Master Certified, just one more selling point on your resume.

Last edited:
I'm a 20 year tech, the last 15+ spent at Chrysler dealerships. My only advice is to pick something you like to do. Yeah, the business is pretty screwed up right now but there is a shortage of good/qualified young techs. The biggest problem right now is the dealers are stuck in the old school mindset and have not embraced the new way that the business is going. The manufacturers are requiring less maintenance and the cars are being built better with less problems. But as the cars are getting more complex they are becoming increasingly difficult to diagnose and repair. So there is less demand for low skill guys who can only change oil and do service work, but a higher demand for the true skill guys who can actually diagnose and fix a car. Ask yourself where you fit in. Can you fix cars, do you like fixing cars, do you like your job. If any of the 3 answers is NO, then you should pursue other employment and training oppotunities while you are young. Once you get stuck counting on a certain level of income it is very difficult to start at the ground level with a different career.

THIS is exactly correct. one of my biggest mentors was a 29 year old tech who has taught me more than any class ive taken could ever, he was that go to guy, started as a young skilled guy like me. yet he still hated the job even though he was the best and could do anything his writer threw at him. He recently got a job at Boeing as an advanced mechanic on military planes and he comes back to chat and says im better off putting my skill to use where it will be better appreciated..

Being a certified/pro tech. and having worked at dealers and such. I would not want to work at one again. I prefer smaller/independent shops over that. But at this point, for me, it's not fun anymore. i still enjoy working on vehicles as a hobby/side jobs.
For the lesser skilled, dealers are not a bad place to be I suppose. I went to tech school because I did not want to go to college, but fast forward to now I am back in school, hopefully done by end of summer. Being in a cube is not something I really want to do either, but if I can make more money for less-physical work and something that is easy for me I'm for it.

I am on the older side, 55 and will be leaving the business soon enough after having done 10 years at a dealer and twenty in diesel fleet maintenance. If you are going to enter this trade Bryan C is correct, do it right. Go to school and get the skills set needed for today's vehicles.

Currently in the transit business and we are having a hard time finding bus mechanics. The baby boom is leaving the work force, this summer we will lose 8 of 12 foremen and 19 mechanics.

Also rightseatsis is in the steam business and they can not find qualified boiler techs.

My advice become a certified welder. You can take that skill everywhere.

I think your question was either to be a dealer tech or a diesel tech. Im a dealer tech now with Chrysler and Mazda, and looking back, hearing from the old timers, tech pay has stayed the same over the last twenty years or so while the shop rate has doubled or tripled. Combine that with flat rate, and the fact that being a highly certified dealer tech means you get all the warranty jobs with the reduced warrany pay, it just doesnt pay to be an auto mechanic anymore. Seems the heavy diesel techs appear to be much more appreciated than auto techs are right now. If you have a chance to go heavy, and think you would like doing it, now is the time to do it. Good luck.

Back