• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Detroit Rear Likes/Dislikes

96xjeeper

NAXJA Forum User
Well exactly what the post says. For those with Full Detroit Rear Lockers what are your likes/dislikes? I had an Aussie and got rid of it for a front Lockright. I have had a front auto locker before and loved it but the rear Aussie was WAY too noisy and abrupt for me so I am looking into a detroit. Is it quieter with a little more manners?

Also how would a Spool do in a D44 with 35's (will never go bigger)? I know road manners would be non existant but would it really be so abrupt that it would be un tollerable?

I'm running one in the rear, 8.8.

Reliable, I never have to worry about it.
Big strength increase over stock carrier.
Indestructible with one exception, see below.
Don’t have to bother with the doodads, compressors, levers.
The locker itself is silent going around bends.
Very predictable in snow. More so than an open axle, IMO.

Dislikes:
Mine scrubs a little tire around bends.
It will POP! at some points in the parking lot. You’ll think you broke an axle.
If you snap a shaft, the shock of it will usually leave the locker toast.
A little more backlash than I was use to, you get use to it.

That said, I’m very happy with it. It’s never failed me off road. One day when I start doing more technical wheeling, I’ll go selectable for the times when you don’t want your axle locked.
I wouldn’t recommend it for a front D30 application for the reasons listed above. JMO.

I had a powertrax no-slip in my 8.25" on 35s, and now have a detroit in my 9" with 35s or 36s. As stated the carrier strength is a huge benefit. I honestly recall the no-slip unloading much more severely than the detroit, and I thing the detroit handles dry pavement turns much better. I also feel like there is less driveline slop than the no-slip, but I may just be forgetting at this point. If you dd your jeep, I really don't think you'll like the spool, it's fine and dandy to take out every once in a while but will get annoying.

Detroit in the rear?
I love it. I think they are great because its a no nonsence application, its badass, and I cant afford to put an ARB in the rear.
If you put a spool in the rear you'll just be buyin tires alot.

I have the 8.8
I also have a full time Detroit.
I also have 4.88 gears.

the rear disc brakes alone, makes it worth the swap.
I have no real complaints on the street.
off road is wonderul.
plows wickedly through snow.
(except fast turns)
the rear diff cover is paper thin..
protect it or up-grade it.

BOB

I have a D44 already so an 8.8 isn't in my future. I already have a Solid axle dif cover.
I don't DD my XJ if fact I rarely drive it. I do however drive it to and from wheeling locations for now. I will drive it during crappy weather because my Dodge is 2WD (well 4WD out of 6)

I have a D44 already so an 8.8 isn't in my future. I already have a Solid axle dif cover.
I don't DD my XJ if fact I rarely drive it. I do however drive it to and from wheeling locations for now. I will drive it during crappy weather because my Dodge is 2WD (well 4WD out of 6)

I have a welded rear diff and it sucks for driving on pavement. It ought to behave the same as a spool on pavement. A spool will be super strong and dead reliable. But like said, you will be buying tires at a more rapid pace.

Im running a detroit in my F8.8 with 4.88s and 35s and its my DD and trail rig. I live in Moab.

relyable
no nonsense
strong
no air lines to break, crack, leak air....
no air sourse needed
cheaper
no cables to adjust
rebuildable
not as comen to break

Dislikes....
I dont have any about it.

As far as the cherping in parkinglots, I dont get it much as all. I do get the bang, but it dosent happen enough to be anoying. Its just the locker unloading.

Iv had no problems in the snow or rain. If your rigs build dont drive it like its stolen and all will be well.

Things Iv noticed about a Detroit between an auto and standard trans:
A detroit will kick you a little to one side when shifting soooometimes. You wont end up in a diffrent lane or anything.
Its smooth sailing with an auto.

I know this because I did a swap of my parts from my xj w/5spd to an mj with an auto. I love the axel and detroit in both rigs.

hope this helps, tim

ps All Ready Broke

I'm a smooth driver and have a auto and can honestly say that I dont even know it is there 99% of the time. I might hear something from it maybe once ever couple of months only and still not loud and has never made anyone turn to look. Ryan set mine up for me and is on this forum and knows just the right amount of backlash to set it up with to give good manners.

i love the detroit rear, its way better than a spool for dd thats for sure. anyway i park in a tight alley in an even tighter one car garage and it is easy and fine. its a little clunk here and there from time to time, i dont really notice it back there honestly. itll push you out a little wide around tight corners and it kinda clunks when i first put it into drive after a few days of sitting. its all normal. i want to convert to rear disks now soon though....but the drums are holdng up for now. basically i love it.

Back