• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

detroit electrac is it worth it

bean8104

NAXJA Forum User
so i was given a detroit electrac locker and all the pieces that go with it this last weekend. Everything works as far as i know and it will go into my d44 hp front. My question; is it worth it? I have read alot about these lockers and there are alot of mixed reviews. The idea of having the shift fork outside the diff covers bothers me a little and the fact that it doesn't run as a full open when not engaged. so i need some more insight from you guys. any info or disscussion... would be awesome

If you wheel on moderate trails and not in the rocks, then sure.

I put a D44 from an MJ in the rear as soon as this locker was first released. I liked the limited slip when unlocked. I eventually lost the external actuator and plunger after a bit of rock crawling. After obtaining replacement parts, I had a diff guard with an extension to cover the actuator. It all worked, but it was a pain to remove and put back on.

A stock diff cover is modified to house the plunger. The cover developed a slow drip after the bottom edge of the cover was slightly bent.

During the last 2-3 years, I had problems with the shift fork popping out from the lock ring. Removing diff guard, actuator, and diff cover, then adjusting the shift fork, and putting everything back on was fun.

I replaced the locker with an ARB this summer.

thanks thats about what i thought would happen to the diff cover. i am thinking i will install an eaton e-locker or an arb. im putting a d44 in the front and a ford 8.8 in the rear. the trails up here in nw washington are mosly roots,stumps,and big rocks,

Last edited:
Back