• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 30 with 4.10's, Detroit Locker, 297x shafts

xj92

NAXJA Forum User
Dana 30 with Spicer 4.10 gears, full-case Detroit soft locker, & 297x shafts. The passenger side long inner shaft has a bent ear on it and that side needs a new u-joint also. I'd rather upgrade the axle than spend any more on this one. You can get a new Spicer inner & outer with a 297 u-joint installed for around $115 IIRC, or a used one cheaper. Any home mechanic with regular tools can put in a new axle shaft.

The gear setup was done 23,000 miles ago by Crossed Up off-road in Tucson and all new Timken bearings were installed at the time.

You can't even tell the Detroit is installed when in 2wd, but it makes all the difference once you put it in 4wd.

Here's what it cost me and what it would cost to build one up new:
Already had the D30 axle (came with the Jeep ;))
Detroit $525
Spicer 4.10 R&P $200
Gear setup $200
297x Axles & joints (both sides) $225
4xDoctor Diff Guard $75
Total $1,225

I don't know what this stuff goes for now, but I'd like to get around $800 for the whole thing, or I can part it out if I get dibs on a good portion of it. Make me an offer.

Jason
[email protected]

Last edited:
OK, let's remove the diff guard and say $725. Any interest at that price?

Back