• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

computer geeks help me out

bj-666

NAXJA Forum User
just installed Emule. the tcp/udp test that the program has built in is consistantly failing and giving me limited connectivity. my puter is running winxp pro sp2. with a cable connection firewalled with whatever xp comes with. the connection is directly thru my other computer ( i don't have a router or switch just two ethernet cards in the main computer for which the internet comes to. i just share out the internet) all ports are open on the computer with e-mule. and i have even disabled the firewall on the computer with the internet connection and still the tcp/udp test fails. any ideas?
thanks
Brandon

OK I'm gonna take a stab at this.
You've got a cable modem that comes into one machine, then that machine shares it to the machine that you're trying to run emule on?
If so then that's the problem, you have to port forward the emule port to the machine running emule. NAT routing system, like windows ICS, serves the part of a firewall.
My reomendation, buy a cheap router, that way you have all the setup options you could want.
You can port forward using ICS, but you don't want to.

thanks but i'm illiterate with computers what's ICP and what's the link you sent me do. and... what are the downfalls of my current setup.
thanks alot
Brandon

ICS is internet connection sharing, which is what you're using.
Te link I sent you too was for an ICS configuration tool, but I just realized that it doesn't work on 2k or XP, so scratch that.
Honestly,I think you should just buy a cheap router, it will be much easier to setup, and you'll be happier with your internet connection. Since you've got a cable modem then it should be a plug and play operation.
It can be done using ICS, but it's a total PITA, and it's kind of involved. Honestly I don't know if XP home can do it, and that's most likely what you've got.
You can get a router for less than $50, I've got some in the store that are $39, and you can get the real cheap ones even cheaper online.
If you get a router you'll just need to setup port forwarding, it's a pretty simple operation. Basically you put in the number used by emule in the router, an then tell the router what number you want it to go to on your local network.

87manche said:
ICS is internet connection sharing, which is what you're using.
Te link I sent you too was for an ICS configuration tool, but I just realized that it doesn't work on 2k or XP, so scratch that.
Honestly,I think you should just buy a cheap router, it will be much easier to setup, and you'll be happier with your internet connection. Since you've got a cable modem then it should be a plug and play operation.
It can be done using ICS, but it's a total PITA, and it's kind of involved. Honestly I don't know if XP home can do it, and that's most likely what you've got.
You can get a router for less than $50, I've got some in the store that are $39, and you can get the real cheap ones even cheaper online.
If you get a router you'll just need to setup port forwarding, it's a pretty simple operation. Basically you put in the number used by emule in the router, an then tell the router what number you want it to go to on your local network.
Like he said- buy a router. They aren't too expensive and I like the setup better than splitting from comps themselves.

If you do setup port forwarding, be very careful. If you start screwing around you'll defeat the purpose of a firewall by having too many holes in it.

Another problem would be you're using eMule. Forget that. It's old and not that great (at least from my experience). Go to www.zeropaid.com and check out some other programs. I personally like bittorrent clients better than P2P, but that's just my opinion.

Good luck with whatever you do.

bj-666 said:
what's ICP

insane.jpg

Buy the router, 4 port off the shelf or SMC makes an 8 port model. Worth the extra $50 or so just to keep the boxes secure. The ICS or Internet Connection Sharing is not exactly desireable.

sorry for being clueless but could someone explain why ICS is sub par and a router is much better. as of right now everything works great on both computers i can play online games and have had no trouble using other file sharing programs. also my "other" computer the one actually connected to the internet is connected to my printer directly all i do is share out the printer will this be the same with a router?
thanks guys
Brandon

and yea i wish we still had that reputation system because you would be loosing major points for even knowing who ICP is let alone finding pics of those stupid freaks.

The router is a dedicated piece of hardware that serves a couple of purposes, first it acts as a central connection point between the wan or wide area network and the lan, it also does DHCP on the lan side, provides firewall protection in the form or stateful packet inspection or SPI, it prevents systems from outside from getting into your local or lan machines, think of it like a security gate, packets have to stop and identify themselves and have to match requests from outgoing packets before they are let in. They also don't use resources on the PC's that are connected to the lan, the better routers log intrusion attempts so that if some one is probing your ports you will know, some will also just shutdown once the probing reaches a certain level of saturation.
As for using a windows firewall, thats like starting with a collander and trying to plug holes on the fly, it's already a system that bites as far as security is concerned, kinda like putting deadbolts on a screen door to keep the rain out..
Last week having a seperate router and switch also saved a bunch of systems at one of my accounts when a 440v line crossed a 110 when a truck took a pole down, blew every UPS, dsl modem, smc router and damaged the uplink port on the 24port switch, did not touch the workstations or server or the bill would have been much bigger. Just my .02

I have no clue here, but, if you need a four port router, I have one I will sell cheap!
That is about the only thing I understood in this whole thread.
PM me if you want it......

seanR said:
I have no clue here, but, if you need a four port router, I have one I will sell cheap!
That is about the only thing I understood in this whole thread.
PM me if you want it......
Baby steps Sean.

Back