• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Clearwater cylinder head comparison to 0331/0630 ports?

hot_rod_hooligans

NAXJA Forum User
I'm working on a new top end on my XJ... cam, lifters, valves, valve springs, etc., and I've got a custom grind cam from Comp that allows me to use stock valve springs. After a lot of pricing, weighing options, I've decided to get a head from Clearwater

I'm trying to figure out what to do with the exhaust now, and am trying to find out what casting Clearwater based the exhaust port design off of, since the head was designed to be a replacement for the 7120/0630/0331 heads, but there is a bit of a difference in port design between the 0630 and 0331 heads. I called Clearwater today and apparently nobody has ever asked before. So does anyone have a direct comparison of the Clearwater head to any of the other HO heads?

Clearwaters website listed it like this:

"Description: 6 CYL 4.0 99-UP OHV 0331"

So it sounds like an 0331..

I havn't ordered the head yet, but I have a couple 0331 heads laying around, and will have the 0630 head that's comming off the jeep to do a direct comparison between the three, but I'm kinda trying to figure out a budget for parts, should I buy a 91-99 header or a 00+ type, because I have the components to go either way, but an APN would be the cheepest route.

I guess I could go either way since I plan on doing some mild port work anyway, I can always massage the port to the shape of the header I choose.

The casting is even beefier than the 0630 that it replaced, and the ports are actually quite good compared to what I've seen in the past. The port shape is based off the 0331, but honestly wasn't really a concern for me.
That is most definitely the 0331 ports. Personally I don't think the 0331 ports are as bad as they are made out to be. The exhaust port may be smaller, but the port floors have been raised quite a bit.

That is most definitely the 0331 ports. Personally I don't think the 0331 ports are as bad as they are made out to be. The exhaust port may be smaller, but the port floors have been raised quite a bit.

Agree. Even though they might not flow as much in the cfm department, they have better flow velocities than the bigger exhaust port 7120/0630 heads. I think the 00-01's just don't feel as zippy as the older models with the 0630 head due to the more strict emissions-friendly ECU Tune and 3 cat exhaust.

Thanks, that answers that question. Now I guess I need to decide what header to go with. APN is the obvious choice if I want to go with the one peice manifold, for both cost and resistance to cracking, but the 3 peice manifold is even better at not cracking, and a 00 federal emissions Y-pipe, without the cats. I've been looking at the JBA header, but then a buddy is trying the Flow Daddy header on his 01 stroker.

Any input?

Walker Part Number: 52439

I bought one, it will work but I wasn't all that impressed with the finished quallity, with a little work with a grinder on the inside of the collector it would be a lot better. More than likely I will use it as a template to make a better one out of stainless on my buddies tube bender.

Last edited:
Walker Part Number: 52439

I bought one, it will work but I wasn't all that impressed with the finished quallity,
I've never liked anything I have seen by Walker. Most of it is kinked up crap.

Back