• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Chrysler 8.25 4.10:1 gear swap

frogdude2100

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all. Quick question. I'm planning on swapping to 4.10s in my 2k XJ. The stock 3.55s with larger tires (31s) throw the gearing off enough to be aggravating. Is there a 4 series carrier that I need to get, or will the 4.10s work on the factory carrier? I already purchased the Dana 30 4 series carrier, in case you're wondering. This is my first Jeep with an 8.25 rear axle. Thanks

The 8.25" doesn't have a carrier break, so your good to go.

Tonopah...

That sure puts you off the beaten path. Should be plenty of trails to explore.

I believe I drove through there once, on my way from Death Valley (Beatty) to Idaho (via the 95, through Fallon). I see the signs for Tonopah Station on the 95, but am generally on my way to Bishop and the 395, so don't take the 95 that far south.

Sorry for the aside, just recognized an obscure location.

More on topic, in case you were not aware, the 8.25 has an interesting way of adjusting the carrier side to side. It uses large set screws. Adjusting those large set screws requires a special tool, but you can make one using a pair of front axle unit bearing retaining nuts (the large ones (36mm IIRC) that hold the outer axle shafts to the unit bearings). You will need to weld the nut to the end of a piece of pipe (or something similar) so that you can adjust things through the axle tube. Hopefully that makes sense. If not, Evan03 has been down that very road. I think he has a picture of his version of that homemade tool in his build thread. EDIT TO ADD: See post #399 in Evan03's build thread.

Last edited:
Back