• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Chop plan, and tube bender question (will it work?)

themangeraaad

NAXJA Forum User
So I am going to be picking up a welder soon, boning up on my welding, and then probably chopping the back half of my roof off the XJ since its not currently a DD and well... because I can and it will be a new challenge.

I have been planning this since 2006 and reading up, but the Jeep was a DD until last year and it has been in storage since. I know I will need to cage it or at least reinforce everything. Was kicking around the other night and found this XJ which is essentially exactly what I planned on doing to mine (except it ended up looking better than mine probably will).. Not sure on the username if they are on here or if I just found it linked from some other forum.. not sure.

http://fototime.com/ftweb/bin/ft.dll/detailfs?userid={C9B50706-F7D6-410E-B99C-36111C35FAC9}&ndx=0&slideshow=0&AlbumId={4CD6D08F-A20A-4CB4-B4F5-B8DB4AAFBBA5}&GroupId=&screenheight=1200

Anyway, the pics, if going through them in order, seem to show the build from it having just the back reinforced with square tube, then an inner cage, and then an exo... My plan was to do the exact same thing (reinforceing the rear), then tying that into an inner cage, and having a couple other braces down into the bed area, building a top hat type of exo for the roof, having the exo go down into the front fenders, tie into rock rails and front bumper (exactly what was done by whomever that is).

Seeing that link disapointed me since its exactly what I wanted to do and now I feel like I am copying it... but its just so well done and such great work it made me want to carry out my variation of it all the more. Only differences are that mine is a 2 door XJ and I would be trying to move the tailgate/C-pillar up to behind the rear seats and using that as the back of the cab rather than a vertical rear window from a MJ... trying to keep the stock rear lines. I think someone else attempted this and ran into issues and ended up using MJ rear as well, I guess I will just make the same mistakes they did since I'm stubborn like that :laugh3:.

Now onto the bender, I just found this on CL:
http://providence.craigslist.org/tls/1088912451.html

It is a pipe bender but will that work for the 1.5"-1.75"x .125" wall DOM I hope to use for the cage? Might end up using .134" wall DOM, still thinking/planning that aspect. I am not sure if there are different "pipe benders" and "tube benders" with different strength characteristics, but if I am thinking correctly that should be sufficient since I dont plan on any bends exceeding 90*.

Thanks in advance

-Scott

I think the difference in benders for pipe vs. tube is in the dies. Pipe being measured by the inside diameter(i.d.) and tube measured by o.d. means that the pipe die is a little larger and will(may) kink your bends with tubing. I know it was discussed in at least one discussion on home-brew benders, and there are fixes to keep it from kinking.
hth

Do you have any recommendations on better benders then? I was hoping to spend less than that, but I just found it and figured I could ask about it.

doesnt need to be fancy, and preferably something that doesnt need to be bolted to the floor if theres anything inexpensive along those lines. I saw one home brew that had a stand which bolted to a cement block or garage floor or something, I MAY be able to pull something like that off, but would prefer not to unless the price is right.

-Scott

thanks, i knew i read forums about them, particularly about the built ones.. just couldnt find the forums again.. and I was lazy and in a rush to get to the bank before it closed :D

Edit: The gottrikes air/hyd bender looks like it might do the trick so I figure I may be picking up the $300 kit which all parts needing machining or a drill press if I can find the other parts.. if not I will drop the $1000 somewhere down the line for the pre-built model.

Question though, would a cage built of 1.5"-1.75" x .120" wall DOM be solid enough for a cage? I mean it would probably hold it stiff after the chop, but would it be enough to hold strong should it roll? I know I read a couple places about using .134" wall so I want to make sure I dont get myself stuck with a weak cage (yeah, alot of the strength comes down to design so I know there are other factors than the material)..

Or maybe I will just go cheap, make design/plan in CAD, send it over to a guy from a local Jeep club with a 4x4 shop, and pick up the bent tube a few weeks later. Just gotta find a truck or trailer and vehicle that I can borrow for a day since he is across the state. lol

Last edited:
jd2 model 3 or protools 105.
Cant go wrong with either.

Back