• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Car Buying Advice

Decide what you are willing to pay ahead of time, be prepared to walk. He who talks first, loses.....

I would love to be a pretentious ass, but cant afford it. I want to get into an econobox that costs in the vicinity of 18K.

I am very aware of the car values and do prefer a slightly used one, but the 12 model carries a 7yr/100K warranty vs 3yr/36K for 11 and older. Also, they offer 0%APR and $1000 customer cashback until the end of the month.

So far I got quoted the MSRP, although he knew that I will not be buying that day. $400 dealer fee was added, I didn't question it, of course since I was only getting a quote. I dont mind paying the freight.

I asked about the $1000 cashback, but he said that it doesn't go along with the 0%APR. I knew that he is full of it.

He told me that the 13 models cost the same, the difference is the 0%APR for the 12 model, good luck selling with this strategy in mind. He was young 19-20yrs old. They really wanted someone else to "take care of me", but that salesman was out and about.

Anyhow, any advice how to negotiate the price will be more than welcome.

Thanks in advance.
Unless the ads specifically say that you can get both cashback and 0%, you probably can't. That's the trick, they advertise two options and most people will choose the one that gives them cash now even though 0% would cost less over the long run...

I totally agree! I just picked up a '96 with 10k miles and it has retained the "new car" smell.
A 96 with 10k? Damn! Good score.

2: You're buying a car you intend to keep for a long, long time; this way you can get exactly what you want
That is what my mom does. Gets the options she wants then drives it until the wheels falls off or passes it on. The only one she didn't do that with was the Tahoe, just because it was a dangerous POS to drive. She has been through 5 Jeeps like that. Two Wagoneers, a 91 XJ Limited (I miss that one), a 2000 WJ and now is on a 2004 WJ with 170,000+ miles.

However, if your the type of person to get rid of a car after 100,000 miles by used.

I tried to buy a new XJ after that 95 POS ZJ I had... but that was around the time the KJs came out and there weren't any new XJs to be had. I still got exactly what I wanted. 00 XJ limited with 28,000 miles. Knowing what I know now I would have looked for a 99.

Unless the ads specifically say that you can get both cashback and 0%, you probably can't. That's the trick, they advertise two options and most people will choose the one that gives them cash now even though 0% would cost less over the long run...

That's what happened when I bought my 200, I had the option of 0% and I think $3,000 cash back. When their money guy ran the numbers, my credit rating was good enough that I ended up with less than 4% interest on the loan and the cash back ended up saving around $25 over the life of the loan.

Something I cut and pasted from my bank. I thought it would be some good info to ponder in a thread subject like this.
USAA said:
Is 0% financing on your new car really such a great deal?

By Brad Van Alstyne

It's become very popular for car dealerships to offer 0% financing to make a sale. Many buyers assume this is a great deal. However, if you do the math, you may figure out that it may be a better deal for the dealer than it is for you.

To get 0% financing at the dealership, you usually have to waive any rebates the manufacturer is offering up as an incentive. These rebates could total anywhere from $500 to $5,000 depending on the vehicle. Meanwhile, you pay full sticker price for the car and the dealer keeps the rebate money. You end up paying more for the car and let them reap the reward.
Which is better: the no-interest loan or $4,000 cash back?

Let's look at a scenario where you buy a $20,000 car with incentives of either $4,000 cash back or 0% financing:

$20,000 for 5 years at 0% with no cash-back rebates means you'll pay $20,000 for the car over the lifetime of the loan.
$20,000 minus $4,000 in cash-back rebates is $16,000 which, financed for five years at a typical car loan rate of 6%, means you'll pay a total of $18,559.20 for the car. That's a savings of $1,440.
:dunno:

Back