• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Can Ext Idle be done on 96, if so how???

boomhauer

NAXJA Forum User
I've looked high and low and have not been able to discern if Extended Idle is doable on the 1996 XJ. I know it's available on the Police package but have yet to find a definitive answer. I grounded A-12 which is DB/OR (dark blue/orange tracer) and all that happened was the AC compressor fired up with no idle increase. Is this possible to do on a 96? Thx IA. -B

A12 is the correct pin according to the FSM for a 4.0. Was you AC on or off when you grounded A12...with the AC on, the IAC is already commanding higher idle. Make sure AC is off, and your idle increase will only be about 200 rpms...with extended idle on...idle should be 1000-1100...no where in the diagram is A12 connected to the compressor clutch.

A12 is the correct pin according to the FSM for a 4.0. Was you AC on or off when you grounded A12...with the AC on, the IAC is already commanding higher idle. Make sure AC is off, and your idle increase will only be about 200 rpms...with extended idle on...idle should be 1000-1100...no where in the diagram is A12 connected to the compressor clutch.

I'm pretty sure that is just for the '97+ vehicles. There has been a lot of discussion about it in the other extended idle thread about it, and I believe the methods are different between the change over years.

Last edited:
Yeah, i have the FSM as well and the AC was off when i tried. Although even when i turn the AC on my idle doesn't increase (should it???).
It is weird that the compressor clutch fires when A12 is grounded.
The FSM mentions that the 4.0 uses a solenoid where the 2.5 uses a power steering pressure switch.
My 96 is weird (or typical for that matter), half of my electrics are 97, some are 96...at least i got the 29 spline 8.25.
I wonder if A12 on mine is the grey wire like the 97+, as i only went by what the FSM told me as opposed to actually tapping into A12.
What is the DB/OR on the 97 used for?
Hmmm more investigation is in order.

Perhaps your IAC motor is defective?

On a '97 4.0 XJ, A12 is gray and runs the extended idle when grounded. The AC clutch power wire on a '97 is Dark blue/black tracer.

You can do it if you want, even if it means you use a solenoid to bump the idle up like older cars/trucks used. Just have to get power to the solenoid and a switch inside to activate it.

Back