• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cam sensor installed 180° out and runs???

b.rudy

NAXJA Forum User
Yea so what’s it mean when the cam position sensor is installed regardless of whether the engine is on TDC compression or overlap and will start right up. yes I timed the sensor both times with the toothpick procedure. But still how is it even running?...and sorta decently

CPS and diz both 180° out? what year?

2000 XJ,
Sorry I should’ve provided more detail in my original post. I just finished building a 4.6 L stroker and have a glowing header issue. The engine starts and runs fine, idles relatively well (has a mild cam) and engine is quiet. However I can’t seem to get the header to stop glowing after Revving for just a couple minutes at 2000 RPM’s.
So I have tried many many different things. One of which...just to see what it would do was intentionally put the cam position sensor 180 out from TDC compression. The result- I can’t tell a difference in how the engine runs. Should it being running? I was expecting a no start..?

Did you install larger injectors? What cam are you using?

I should add that on a '00-01 as long as the camshaft is timed properly, you could drop the dist gear in any position as long as you time the sensor (toothpick method).

I should have added at TDC(comp), also have you put a scanner that read live data on it?

I should add that on a '00-01 as long as the camshaft is timed properly, you could drop the dist gear in any position as long as you time the sensor (toothpick method).

Hmm interesting, ok well I guess that’s going to go then.

Regarding your other questions. Yes I’ve got 30lb injectors and a Howard’s cam. Specs are: .485 int, .480 exh valve lift. 269* int & 273* duration or 215* & 219* @.050, 114 lobe sep. yes I degrees the cam just to double check and all are close to within spec. The worst from spec was the intake center line. I read it as 108 and the spec is 110..?

Stroker kit is from Cleggs, they’re stage 3. With a Newcomer racing competition ported TUPY head.

Banks torque tube header, I cut the collector off for a 3” ball & socket style. 3” exhaust dumped after muffler.

62mm BBK TB. All new sensors.

-yes I swapped out all sensors back to original in trying to diagnose. I even toward the front of the engine back down and rechecked my timing chain installation.

Those are really big injectors, the cam sounds like a carburetor cam. Do you have any live data?

I do have live scanned data from my HP Tuners. However it may take me another day or so before I can find time to use my laptop and attach it here. I originally installed 24 pound injectors but my injector duty cycle was at 105 at 4500 RPMs. So I just recently switched to 30 pound injectors.

Regarding the cam specs and it being a “carburetor cam” I would have no idea to be honest. I just assumed that Cleggs sold me everything as a working “kit”

Back