• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bottom End Knock

It is possible to replace the rod and crank bearings in the vehicle. The most economical solution is a salvage motor. Try to find one you can hear run, like on craigslist. Then you can either drive it till is dies or change it out at your convenience. But if you wait until you HAVE to find a motor, you probably won't be as lucky as if you have a little time to look around.

Have you gone over the exhaust manifold for cracks or a bad gasket. Mine got a new motor because I overlooked a bad manifold until I was reinstalling the new motor. it was the same noise and I still swear it was a metalic slapping noise. your oil presure scares me, I would put a mechanical guage on it. if you realy have a zero presure issue you probably have a dead motor, or at least serious problems, if not your problem could be as simple as mine was. noise was even in the same spot. (between 3/4)

Looong time ago I bought a long block, for my 88 Xj, from Auto Zone for 1200. Dont remember the manufacturer but it gave me 30k miles then i sold it. She gave me 310K miles.

Mine makes the same noise and I have low oil pressure(less than 10psi when idling) so I plan on replacing the main/rod bearings, should I just get original size ones and swap them out or should I get like .020 over or something? Sorry for the noob question but I've only rebuild one engine and that was with all new parts right down to the crank so I never had to deal with oversized bearings or anything. Thanks

Mine makes the same noise and I have low oil pressure(less than 10psi when idling) so I plan on replacing the main/rod bearings, should I just get original size ones and swap them out or should I get like .020 over or something? Sorry for the noob question but I've only rebuild one engine and that was with all new parts right down to the crank so I never had to deal with oversized bearings or anything. Thanks

use plastigauge to determine what size you will need.

what year and how many miles on the engine?

Back