• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bender opinions, help me decide!

jmaxj

NAXJA Forum User
I'm looking to upgrade to a newer bender, right now I have a JD2 model 2 it works great but its time for something new.

I've been looking at the new JD32 and the pro tools mb105HD and can't decide which one.

Here's the question. Anyone have any real experience with either of those? What do you like/dislike about it? Or is there another route you'd go and why?

So i just discovered the probender, anyone have any experience with it? any major advantage to vertical instead of horizontal?

soo, i'd be happy to take that jd2 off ur hands ;)

onto topic, horizontal leaves only space as a limitation, vertical i would think that the height of the bender and degree of bend would limit length of pipe at the middle of bend...

but at the same time i would think it would be easier to make multiple in line bends with a vertical bender vs a horizontal simply because of the laws of gravity pulls the weight straight down( if that makes any sense) i havent had experience with either so i can only say go with what offers the most for the best price. im in need of a bender myself, i need a better bender than my harbor freight bender i have now.

I'd like that bender as well.

Maxx, are you saying the vertical bender bends down? I was under the impression that all bent upwards.

The benders I've seen bent sideways...
http://youtu.be/xkUV07FfTng

I've never seen an actual vertical bender in action my harbor freight pos works in "vertical" and "horizontal" and it bends downwards... But I guess it would be safe to assume that a vertical bender bends upwards, it would make more sense to me

Setting it up to bend vertical is the way to go for a hobbyist. It lets you make the bender portable and it will bend up into the air so the tube doesn't hit a wall or something nearby as you're bending. I bought my model 32 and mounted it vertical to a steel stand I made along with a $80 air/hyd cyl from harbor freight. It's plain awesome. I have bent up to 1.75" .25" DOM so far no sweat.

IMG_20110814_184601.jpg

After this pic was taken I added wheel to one side so I could roll it around and welded some hangers on it to hold multiple dies.

I'm looking to upgrade to a newer bender, right now I have a JD2 model 2 it works great but its time for something new.

I've been looking at the new JD32 and the pro tools mb105HD and can't decide which one.

Here's the question. Anyone have any real experience with either of those? What do you like/dislike about it? Or is there another route you'd go and why?

If it works great, then why is it time for something new? I dig my air/hydro 105, now that I have it on a mobile vertical mount.

Build a bender.
I built the got-trikes bender from his plans and I could not be happier.
CPillarBending.jpg

Either way air/hydro is the way to go.

I don't have a video handy, but it is pretty simple. I can't take full credit for the idea, I stole it off PBB someone using a piece of square tube and a nut & bolt. I just made mine a c-clamp.

I cut a c-clamp up and welded a piece of angle iron and flat stock to the top. (red paint optional). This lets me put the angle finder on, set it to whatever I want and make the bend. Then when I want to do the next I know I can put it back in the bender at the same orientation or rotate it (to account for the bend I just made or to offset)
Seen here with the angle finder on it before I shot it with red paint.
PlaaneofBendTool1.jpg

TubePlaneoBendTool.jpg

Last edited:
Back