• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Battery issue

jeepdude25

NAXJA Forum User
Hello, I was driving home last night and my "check gauges" light came on. I noticed the battery gauge had went to down and stayed all the way to the left at 9 when normally its dead center at 14 in the middle. Two weeks ago now the Jeep wouldn't start and I had my battery tested along with the alternator at O'reillys. I was told everything was good with both of them. So this morning I checked again and the battery gauge isn't fully going to 14 but staying between 9 and 14. I read that the alternator could be going out and the Jeep is just using the battery up and it will eventually die.

Any thoughts??

Thanks

sounds like an alternator issue to me -- sporadically working to recharge the battery, but sometimes not....

sounds like an alternator issue to me -- sporadically working to recharge the battery, but sometimes not....

Yup, commutator brushes getting stuck in their holders.

x2 on new alternator.

I had the exact same symptoms.

we pulled the alt and the brushes were toast.

Back