• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Baja Run to Bahia de Los Angeles...

Original_MudButt

NAXJA Forum User
Well, I posted this earlier this year, but mods decided to remove it. It was probably in the wrong forum, but it's cool...

So some friends and I are heading to Bay of L.A. over Thanksgiving week. We have yet to decide on the exact date, but it will be around the 19th. Staying anywhere from 3-7 days. Or maybe more???

We will be crossing in at Calexico/Mexicalli then down to San Felipe for the first night of camping on the playa.

Then we are taking highway 5 south to Puertecitos and hopefully catch the sea-side hot springs at the right time of tide. Off to Coco's corner for a beer or two with Coco then down to Bay of L.A...

We will be staying at BOLA for 3-4-5 days, who knows. We are going to let Baja (and the women-folk) decide. Hopefully do some fishing, maybe snorkeling (if the water's not too cold), a side trip to a 250 year old mission, and we might get some kayaking in.

We have access to a friend's trailer on the beach. From what I hear, it's not much but it has a covered porch, chairs, a kitchen, a shower for the ladies, etc. Then a 2 day trip up the Pacific coast, weather permitting.

If you are interested, let me know and I'll be more than happy to PM you all the fine details... I'd love to have you come along, more the merrier!

Last edited:
Why not come a couple of days earlier and watch the Baja 1000?

Some buddies and I will be down there starting 11/17. This will only be our 2nd time heading down, but we got some good places to watch the race, drink beer and eat tacos. If you are interested then let me know.

I don't know if you know much about the bay, but if you need any info or help with the bay let me know. I know it as well as most. I might be down there as well for thanksgiving time but not sure yet. Most of my BOLA trips are last minute. Summer is great for everything down there but winter time can be pretty harsh wind wise and water temp wise. Best time to go in my opinion though as you can hike and off-road and rock climb(shhh) as much as you want without worrying about crowds or heat. fishing can be great too if you can luck out with the wind. Some toad yellows were floating around literally 50 yards from the light house last winter.

743px-Mikes_mountain_panorama.jpg

How was the trip? Anything eventful to report? Take any pictures?
Great, yes and yes... Pics soon.

Got to swim with the whale sharks. There were five or six in the bay, the longest being about 35' long 8' wide. Beautiful, gentle, MONSTERS!

Caught a half dozen fish, but they all went back. I think the longest one was about 11". A couple bass, a cabrillo, and a couple puffer fish.

We deep fried a turkey on Thanksgiving day. YUMMY!

Met a guy named Tony who lives there half the year. A helicopter door gunner in Vietnam. He had some awesome stories to tell. A true American badass...

Only downside to the whole trip was the 4-1/2 hour border wait. We should have come back through Tecate instead of TJ. I'll never do that again.

If you have a clean record, no felonies, dui's, whatever, get a SENTRI pass. A complete pain in the butt to apply and wait and interview and get inspected, but sooooooo worth it. Everyone in the car must have a SENTRI pass but no wait, ever. A baja traveler of any type must spend the time and effort to get one.

Glad the trip went well, but it's pretty hard for a Bay of LA trip to not go well.

Glad you had a good time, Chris! I've been to Bay of LA twice, working the Baja 1000. Both times we stayed at the Costa del Sol motel. Very nice family owns it. They fed us very well too. Just so peaceful down there. First night, I made a point of waking up early so that I could watch the sunrise over the water. Another good place we ate at was Guillermo's.

We also met an expat down there who said that he would not be welcomed if he tried to go back to the US. :) One day, he gave us a big fish that the motel grilled up for us.

Back