• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Back in a Jeep again! New XJ - PICS

inv3ctiv3

NAXJA Forum User
Just sold my 1988 Land Cruiser and picked up this 2001 Cherokee Sport 4x4! I'll miss the FJ62 for sure but it had 240k miles and got 10MPG which just wasn't working for me.

It has 132,000 miles on it and is in great condition, bought it from an older lady who doesn't drive anymore. Funny thing is when I went to test drive I went to roll down all the windows and the rear passenger side window rolled down slowly then wouldn't roll back up.....I've read the switches go bad on these? What should I check for or replace? I was able to slowly inch the window almost all the way back up throughout the day but it's still down about 2". Also the first thing I did was get rid of the crappy OEM stereo and put in a JVC USB receiver I've had in other cars and love but the front speakers don't work....

I'm looking for recommendations from you guys on things I need to check and replace at this mileage. It also needs new tires, I am open to going bigger as I will be doing a bit of offroading but I live on a ranch where we have lemon orchards which have big thorns so most importantly looking for tough tires with thick plys. Any necessary mods for light offroading I should do?

Well my plan right now is:

OME 2" Lift (do I need a transfer case lowering kit?)
Crager Rims (this is a maybe, do you think I need wider wheels?)
Some 30" or 31" Tires (I want to preserve my MPG as much as possible)
Auto Locker in the front
Heavy Duty Radiator
Tranny Cooler (These are necessary in Land Cruisers and I know Jeeps have tranny problems, do any of you run an aux in line tranny cooler?)

I think that will make a pretty decent rig that I can still DD, what do you guys think, should I look into anything else? I also want to remove my door trim and paint my bumper ends black since they're faded. :worship:

Anyway here are some pics:

8543885984_4702370776_z.jpg

8543898520_62beb497e4_b.jpg

8542799479_f986991bbb_b.jpg

8542800193_154503f17f_b.jpg

8542800921_f755f9819b_b.jpg

Welcome. Looks great.......
10 mpg is our club average. Bigger radiator, and a tranny cooler is a great upgrade.

XJ from Georgia... Did you get it smogged yet?

Just sold my 1988 Land Cruiser and picked up this 2001 Cherokee Sport 4x4! I'll miss the FJ62 for sure but it had 240k miles and got 10MPG which just wasn't working for me.

It has 132,000 miles on it and is in great condition, bought it from an older lady who doesn't drive anymore. Funny thing is when I went to test drive I went to roll down all the windows and the rear passenger side window rolled down slowly then wouldn't roll back up.....I've read the switches go bad on these?
Yes they do.What should I check for or replace? It is one of three things, the window motor, the wiring harness passing through the door to the A-Pillar has a broken wire causing an open circuit or the switch in the the drivers arm rest (That was on my 00XJ)

I'm looking for recommendations from you guys on things I need to check and replace at this mileage. It also needs new tires, I am open to going bigger as I will be doing a bit of offroading but I live on a ranch where we have lemon orchards which have big thorns so most importantly looking for tough tires with thick plys. Any necessary mods for light offroading I should do?

Well my plan right now is:

OME 2" Lift (do I need a transfer case lowering kit?) TC lowering not needed, after install you may want to install a SYE, not reallly necessary but it did eliminate vibs on mine. The low pinion front axle will still produce slight vibs at high speeds.

Auto Locker in the front I suggest a selectable
Heavy Duty Radiator Yes
Tranny Cooler (These are necessary in Land Cruisers and I know Jeeps have tranny problems, do any of you run an aux in line tranny cooler?) Yes

I think that will make a pretty decent rig that I can still DD, what do you guys think, should I look into anything else? Your plans for the 01 are very similiar to my DD that has four Moab trips under its belt. I have 30" BFG all-terrains and when they were new were good tires, now as they near the end of their useful life with about 20% left they have gotten noisey and provide a hard ride.

I would add a fuel tank skid, trailer hitch for rear pull point and front tow hooks onto your list.

Welcome back!

Thanks for the great info! Any suggestions on what brand fuel tank skid? And I'd like an Eaton E-locker front and rear but at $700+ each not sure I can justify it, maybe down the road. Are the auto lockers pretty bad on the street?

Axles: yup,.. C 8.25/D30.

On the '01 the -8.25 will be a 29 spline model. The "at-a-glance" givaway is the lobes sticking down below the cover on each side of the bottom center bolt. A D-35 doesn't have those.

At 135K you'll need the radiator if it hasn't been properly serviced on a regular basis.

The tranny cooler is a good idea. The AW-4 runs kind of hot.('lotta fluid friction in there) I have a B&M 12K BTU cooler between the radiator and grill. A lot of people use the factory cooler from a Ford Explorer too.

30x9.50-15 tires look fine on the stock 7" wheel. If you want to go up to 31x10.50s you might consider a 8" wide wheel, either aftermarket or look into a factory take-off. The Canyon rims from a TJ are 8" wide and look good. If you don't mind stepping up to a 16" wheel, the TJ Rubicon "Moab"s look great on an XJ.(stock TJ Rubicon tire is a true 31")

For a light wheeler, you don't necessarily need lockers. I did the Rubicon(with bypasses) on 30"s, a Trutrac(front)and an Auburn(rear) and it goes like hell in snow! :D

Welcome back to the fold!

Back