• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

back from the woods

alwayzAMC

NAXJA Forum User
been a while since i floated in here, searched around here when i first bought my XJ a couple years ago, since then i moved me and my jeeps, and stayed on our 40 acres in maine, stayed up there for a while and lived in the woods, wheeled a bunch on the property tried to tame a few skidder trails that ran through the property and even brought a few pics back for every one to see, don't worry these are all from my property and was not trail bashing

found a rock

and in my truck

bringing in the camper

did a lot of other wheeling in other places as well, tried moving back down to MA and ended up falling asleep at the wheel

dead XJ

was lucky to walk away from that one, but as far as educational purposes, the xj holds up real well after rolling over 3 times at 70 MPH

my reason here is not just to ramble, am in the market for a new XJ project, obviously my last one never got finished, and is beyond fixing, although believe it or not, i was able to drive it after rolling it like that. anywayi kind of want to stay away from CV joints if all possible and definatly want to stay away from the 2.8, if any one has any ideas, or leads or anything for sale, i would appreciate the info, but as far as i know the only year that had the real front axles and the 4.0 is the 87, but if anyone knows different...

let me know if the pics don't show, just uploaded them to yahoo this afternoon.....

alwayzAMC said:
but as far as i know the only year that had the real front axles and the 4.0 is the 87, but if anyone knows different...

Real front axles as opposed to...fake ones? As far as I know every XJ ever made has a D30 in the front. The 4.0 was available from 1987 to 2001.

alwayzAMC said:
been a while since i floated in here, searched around here when i first bought my XJ a couple years ago, since then i moved me and my jeeps, and stayed on our 40 acres in maine, stayed up there for a while and lived in the woods, wheeled a bunch on the property tried to tame a few skidder trails that ran through the property and even brought a few pics back for every one to see, don't worry these are all from my property and was not trail bashing

found a rock

and in my truck

bringing in the camper

did a lot of other wheeling in other places as well, tried moving back down to MA and ended up falling asleep at the wheel

dead XJ

was lucky to walk away from that one, but as far as educational purposes, the xj holds up real well after rolling over 3 times at 70 MPH

my reason here is not just to ramble, am in the market for a new XJ project, obviously my last one never got finished, and is beyond fixing, although believe it or not, i was able to drive it after rolling it like that. anywayi kind of want to stay away from CV joints if all possible and definatly want to stay away from the 2.8, if any one has any ideas, or leads or anything for sale, i would appreciate the info, but as far as i know the only year that had the real front axles and the 4.0 is the 87, but if anyone knows different...

let me know if the pics don't show, just uploaded them to yahoo this afternoon.....

welcome back.. it looks like you had a hell of an excursion... i have been watching Ebay for a new trail rig project.. lots going for $500 $600 rightnow... as far as the non-cv front axle.. anything from 87 to 2001 will have an open knuckle D30..

sidriptide said:
welcome back.. it looks like you had a hell of an excursion... i have been watching Ebay for a new trail rig project.. lots going for $500 $600 rightnow... as far as the non-cv front axle.. anything from 87 to 2001 will have an open knuckle D30..

thats great info, thanks, is it possible to eliminate the airbags, and antilock brakes in the newer models??

i have been checking e-bay, some in my area i am keeping my eye on, hopefully we aren't bidding on the same ones when it comes time..

alwayzAMC said:
thats great info, thanks, is it possible to eliminate the airbags, and antilock brakes in the newer models??

Why would you want to remove the air bag? You might as well cut off the seatbelts while you're at it.

seatbelts are good to have, but getting hit in the face with an exploding plastic bag is kind of like getting smacked with a baseball bat across the nose, not pleasant....

plus obviously i am rough on vehicles, i'd hate for one to go off when i am not even crashing

alwayzAMC said:
getting hit in the face with an exploding plastic bag is kind of like getting smacked with a baseball bat across the nose, not pleasant....

Tell me...how pleasant is it when your head smacks into the steering wheel at 70mph? Air bags are there for a reason. I have a permanent neck problem from crashing my XJ. If it would have had an air bag I most likely only would have been sore for a day or two. They don't go off "when you're not even crashing".

well not sure how they work, which is part of why i was asking, if it's by impact damage trigger switch, i have no idea,

the airbag isn't a big deal, i personally have never liked them much, but the abs i know i don't like, and would rather do with out, even with all the safty increase ratings they "help brake faster" i have never found that to be the case.... i like old fashion use your foot to stop the vehicle brakes

alwayzAMC said:
well not sure how they work, which is part of why i was asking, if it's by impact damage trigger switch, i have no idea,

the airbag isn't a big deal, i personally have never liked them much, but the abs i know i don't like, and would rather do with out, even with all the safty increase ratings they "help brake faster" i have never found that to be the case.... i like old fashion use your foot to stop the vehicle brakes
Not sure how they work either but I do know you have to hit them harder then your going to hit them on a trail to make them go off. Have a bunch of friends all with newer airbag equipped XJs and TJs seen them hit some really hard hits and never had a air bag go off. As far as the ABS goes...Yeah you can disable them...Not all newer XJs come with ABS anyway. Just find one without.

Airbags are triggered from a sensor called an accelerometer, which is calibrated to the forces seen in an accident... nothing even close to slams & bangs while wheeling. I rolled my '97 awhile ago and the bags didn't go off, so there is no fear in having them.

thats all good to know, thanks for the info, i've not seen anything newer without abs and such yet, will mud grass and everything else mess with the abs system? i also know they are passing laws that require vehicles with ABS to keep the factory spec tire sizes, and are passing out fines, which is another reason why i want to stay away from it,

john b, i have property in the newport area, which is in the central part of the state, i am also starting to look into purchasing 200 acres just north of bangor...

for non ABS try the vehicles with the tow pakage and the 8.25. thats what my non ABS is...newer 2000 xj.
glad to see you made it back here.
cheers.

Back