• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

aw4 finally quit :(

uglyrenixxj

NAXJA Forum User
Sooooo.
A combination of family,work, and the last 10 years of war forced me to neglect the jeep for a while. Now that im back into it. The trans has decided to quit.
After trying everything from the tps to the output speed sensor, i am confident that the trans is bad mechanically.i went ahead and replaced the solenoids even though they cycled when power was applied and it didnt help. Tps is adjustedper the fsm and pulling the fuse next to the tcm will sometimes let me manually shift.
In short, i need another trans. Can anyone suggest a source for a 21 spline aw4?

89 xj auto 4x4.

Over the years, i managed to forget the password to my original user name here and had to make this one instead.

i have an aw4 coupled to a 242 transfer case out of my 89 i will let go for $100. both worked great when removed from jeep.

bought the jeep used. it had 185k on it but the guy said the trans was rebuilt before i got it. true or not i don't know, but it shifted well and the 242 worked perfectly for the little time i got to use it. the jeep is gone so it is just sitting here waiting for a new home.

Sooooo.
A combination of family,work, and the last 10 years of war forced me to neglect the jeep for a while. Now that im back into it. The trans has decided to quit.
After trying everything from the tps to the output speed sensor, i am confident that the trans is bad mechanically.i went ahead and replaced the solenoids even though they cycled when power was applied and it didnt help. Tps is adjustedper the fsm and pulling the fuse next to the tcm will sometimes let me manually shift.
In short, i need another trans. Can anyone suggest a source for a 21 spline aw4?

89 xj auto 4x4.

Over the years, i managed to forget the password to my original user name here and had to make this one instead.

You might want to check your fuel pressure. I thought my trans was not shifting but I was actually running out of fuel on aceleration because the inner o-ring tore inside of the fuel rail where the pressure regulator is. You should have around 30psi at idle. Mine was ai 19lbs before I fixed it.

I apologize for the delay, a family emergency has me out of town until Tuesday afternoon. I will do my best to get they spline count Tuesday evening or Wednesday for sure.

Back