• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

auto darkening welding helmet

md21722

NAXJA Forum User
Looking around for an auto darkening welding helmet, I see you can get inexpensive ones for less than $50 or you buy very expensive ones like 3M Speedglass for $185-550. Both have high ratings on reviews.

Couple of occasional negatives on the inexpensive ones: small viewing area, allows debris and smoke into the helmet.

The folks with the 3M ones say large viewing area, very clear for better welding.

I'm finding it hard to believe anyone I know has ever paid $550 for a welding helmet.

Should I just get the $40 one? Is a lower end 3M for around $185 going to provide any benefit for basic welding around the home shop?

I have no experience with the expensive ones. What I can tell you is I have two of the cheapies and I'm more than happy with them. Much better than the old school helmets I used in the past without the auto-darkening. I don't weld every day, so someone with more experience than me might have some input, but for what I do, my $40 auto darkening helmet works fine.

This hood came up locally for a great price: http://www.lincolnelectric.com/en-u.../product.aspx?product=K3023-2(LincolnElectric)

What made me jump was the support after the sale. If I am unfortunate enough to break a part of this assembly, I can order a replacement.

As for the viewing area, so far, I have been able to see the work. If I do more welding out of position, I still have old faithful hanging on the wall. :)

I have a speedglass 3m 9100xx great helmet
I also weld for a living and bought it for a specific job that required it.
Otherwise miller and Jackson make a great lower to high end helmet

Back