• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

At the axle crossroads

You want to run 37s with the name of the game being wheelspin, but aren't interested in running full tons?
If you really aren't going to go 60s / 14B / whatever, build your 44/9" as best you can and stop putting money into the thirty. Cryo treatment probably won't get you far enough to hold up to 37s if they are spinning and suddenly catch, the R&P will still be your weak link.
Somebody, correct me if I'm wrong...

Rockwells or STFU :D

Eric, its either full on 1tons or maybe some 44 hybrids with 60 outers. Nothing less then at least 1ton outers though. If you're worried about ground clearence, either have a beefy cover to hit stuff with or shave the piss outta it.

2ln90ya.jpg

Glad I could help.

You can pick up a H case detroit for the 9 inch used for under 300, I paid 125 for mine. 35 spline Side gears for the detroit run about 180 last I checked, and it is probably the cheapest axle to build. The point where it gets tricky is going to 8 lug if you want to do that.

Just FYI, if you're going to run a D44 with 1/2" tubes you're not saving a ton of weight over a D60.

That said, the D30 shouldn't be on your list.

Just FYI, if you're going to run a D44 with 1/2" tubes you're not saving a ton of weight over a D60.

That said, the D30 shouldn't be on your list.

If you run the larger brakes as well it's probably close to 0 weight savings. Factor in the fact that you could wait for a good deal on a 60 and run stock shafts and run of the mill gears and actually SAVE money by going to a 60.

I thought you might want a more extensively awesome and bling axle with super high ground clearance so that's why I recommended the pizza axle.

FWIW.

I've got a 44 and 9".

44 is built, Ten Factory alloys, Yukon alloy joint, locker, 5.13, 37" Bias TSL's. I break shafts. I suppose I could do RCV's but on the fence about them.

I have a bunch of money into my 44. But if you built a custom width 60 or 609 you'd be into alot more. For a standard width with stock shafts you'd be $3k. A 609 would be more. I've priced it up many times.

I will say if you trully are going to stick with 37's check out the FZJ80 axles. They are a great axle. Yes I know it's blasphemy to put yota axles in an xj however they sould like they would work for what you want. Or just do the front FZJ80 and 9" rear with adapters for bolt pattern. FZJ80 rear is offset.

99NCXJ has this set up.

Back