• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

anyone seen the factory tie off points on your cross bars?!

MaxxXJ

NAXJA Forum User
ok... so i was a little overly amazed at what i found today while i was removing my aftermarket roof rack... i took it off because well it rattled everytime i shut the door and it wasnt very secure on the trail with the spare up top (it wanted to slide) anyway. i was kind of hitting on the cross bars to see if those rattled too which they did and i noticed little metal things that slid side to side... anyway this is what i discovered.

anyway has anyone else see these? anyone know the proper name for these?

collapsed
d1a5c4b2.jpg

opened and locked in place
fe84d045.jpg

Those are on all 1989 - 1990 roof racks, those are the best years for OEM XJ roof racks. Prior to 1989 they had a crappy design, after 1990 they had a different crappy design. Those tie downs work well for light duty work.

I remember those!
I thought they were a pretty good idea, but I never used them.

I've had 3 97' and up Jeeps since then. Most people don't realize it, but the stock rack is just about = to a Yakima rack in that you can use aftermarket clamp on pieces. With my 98' I bought 2 cradles and have one kayak in that, the other is on foam blocks.

-Ron

Not the cross bars them selfs but my roof rack came with crappy u bolt like mounts and they don't grip the cross bars very well. They gripped the cross bars on my 00 xj but not my 89. But during this find, I removed the cargo rack and tied down my spare inside the hatch instead of on top in my cargo basket.

Because I was off camber, the rack slid to my side and tilted me to close to the rock... This was an avoidable damage spot if I would of had my spare mounted in the hatch...
53d7ed11.jpg

I was thinking about using them to keep my roof rack centered, I'd use a turnbuckle at each corner to keep it from sliding

As I said they're good for light duty usage, I would not rely on them for that purpose.

Not the cross bars them selfs but my roof rack came with crappy u bolt like mounts and they don't grip the cross bars very well. They gripped the cross bars on my 00 xj but not my 89. But during this find, I removed the cargo rack and tied down my spare inside the hatch instead of on top in my cargo basket.

Because I was off camber, the rack slid to my side and tilted me to close to the rock... This was an avoidable damage spot if I would of had my spare mounted in the hatch...
53d7ed11.jpg

That also wouldn't have happened had you not tilted the picture so far.

Back