• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anyone else hoarding fuel?

Techron additive only cleans your engine and components to an extent. They do nothing for reducing ethanol or whatever. Chevron gas is still 85/87/90 equations so you get a cleaner with the fuel, but still have an additive in ethanol. Im also not sure if the techron additive takes away or adds to mpg as it isn't gas. Could be misinformed on this though. Plus from my understanding, running e0 after running e85 may cause issues with computers, sensors etc. Due to the fact that say, a 1993 xj that has ran e85 since its inception, suddenly runs e0, Its comp, sensors and all are accustom to lower combustibility, o2 ratios, etc, then gets hotter burning ratio,o2 levels, I can foresee possible issues.

Its the water that is absorbed by the ethanol that's the problem. One gallon of 10% ethanol based gasoline will absorb 3/4 to 1 ounce of water so 10 gallons of fuel will have about 10 oz of water in it. After it sits like this for awhile the water and ethanol will fall to the bottom and leave the gasoline at the top. This is called phase separation. That's the point where the gasoline looses its octane. because ethanol was placed there to replace the old method of adding octane to fuel that was supposed to be more harmful then the ethanol. No octane left in the fuel means no fire or bad fire, Leading to timing knock.
As for additives they don't work. Adding octane back via octane booster may help some.

I'm not going to hoard more then I can burn in the next few months so I'm not that concerned. I do have it stored in air tight plastic drums also. I think that's the key to storing it.

Techron additive only cleans your engine and components to an extent. They do nothing for reducing ethanol or whatever. Chevron gas is still 85/87/90 equations so you get a cleaner with the fuel, but still have an additive in ethanol. Im also not sure if the techron additive takes away or adds to mpg as it isn't gas. Could be misinformed on this though. Plus from my understanding, running e0 after running e85 may cause issues with computers, sensors etc. Due to the fact that say, a 1993 xj that has ran e85 since its inception, suddenly runs e0, Its comp, sensors and all are accustom to lower combustibility, o2 ratios, etc, then gets hotter burning ratio,o2 levels, I can foresee possible issues.

I know your using the 1993 XJ as an example. But if anyone's reading this don't try to use more then E10 in any vehicle made before 2001. The computers and injection systems don't have the adjustability to compensate for more then 10% ethanol. You will lean out and seize a 4.0l.

I'm not a professional by any means. What little knowledge I have is from research and someone I know that tried to run e85 in his 90's rig. It didn't turn out very well for him. 2001 and up from my research can use e20 and then modern flex fuel vehicles can run any rating of gasoline. I may not
Have the terms correct.

I think using some of this will help with the whole storage aspect of the ethanol fuels.
STA-BIL Claims safe ethanol storage for up to 12 months when using their product(s)... even in the vehicle.
STA-BIL_PressRelease.jpg

I'm no expert either, but even if i had a couple hundred gallons stored... It's not going to take me 12 months to go thru it....even with MY commute.
I think this stuff will work just fine for short to mid term fuel storage.

Well, I'm using up the last 90 gallons of fuel I hoarded when it was cheep. I did just like our Carson fuel rep from work told me to do. Fill the drums as full as I can get them and seal them air tight! The gas smells just like it did when I stored it months ago. He also told me not to put any of that snake oil in it because it wouldn't work.
Regular gas can be stored for months!

Dave out!

Enjoy those prices while you can, im assuming these are oregon prices, seattle is 3.12 at my neighborhood 7-11 wich is still cheaper than anywhere else, and my commuter is a chev crewcab dually 4x4 with a 454, ive tuned up everything and got it up too 8.5 mpg around town, luckily my commute is only 5 miles each way

Back