• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Another XJ

Truckedup

NAXJA Forum User
I'm a retired electrical contractor but still do occasional small electrical jobs at a large local dismantling yard. Keep friendly with them so I can take waste oil and coolant and use their tire machine. And they do pay me cash money....
So I drive into the yard and spot a clean Cherokee parked with the "good vehicles",the ones they might resell rather than dismantle for parts.They buy vehicles from auctions and sometimes private owners or estate sales. It's a 97 5 speed 4x4 Sport with three factory skid plates. The damn thing is not rusty,no dents,very clean inside,105,000 miles.Seems to run fine and it all works except the AC. Took my wife ,she who loves Jeeps,to see it,buy in now she says!

I ask about it,they say is was mostly stored for the last six years,1000 bucks with all the paper work done (they have dealer's license)
I can't get out the wallet fast enough....
So now we have three XJ 5 speeds on the road...two 99's and this 97

9570403346_5a866eca11_z.jpg

Last edited:
I'm a retired electrical contractor but still do occasional small electrical jobs at a large local dismantling yard. Keep friendly with them so I can take waste oil and coolant and use their tire machine. And they do pay me cash money....
So I drive into the yard and spot a clean Cherokee parked with the "good vehicles",the ones they might resell rather than dismantle for parts.They buy vehicles from auctions and sometimes private owners or estate sales. It's a 97 5 speed 4x4 Sport with three factory skid plates. The damn thing is not rusty,no dents,very clean inside,105,000 miles.Seems to run fine and it all works except the AC. Took my wife ,she who loves Jeeps,to see it,buy in now she says!

I ask about it,they say is was mostly stored for the last six years,1000 bucks with all the paper work done (they have dealer's license)
I can't get out the wallet fast enough....
So now we have three XJ 5 speeds on the road...two 99's and this 97

9570403346_5a866eca11_z.jpg

Nice collection :yelclap:

I for my part prefer one with an AW4 over a manual shift. Yes, I only drove manual shift vehicles for the first 3 years of my driving life including the US built 3 on the tree, the British 4 on the tree and 3 speed, 4 speed and 5 speed on the floor. A 5 speed manual Toyota pickup is now my DD, but I am still a lazy SOB. Still, one cannot beat adding a new member to the family without spending the kids college fund. party1:

I have never owned a vehicle with an automatic transmission....About 50 years worth of cars and trucks...Same story for my wife..

Well, for most of my years you couldn't give me a vehicle with an automatic transmission (couple of rare exceptions).

Now, my 90 has an AX15, and between my big feet--13EEEE--bad sciatic nerve, gout, plantar fasciitis, and splayed bones in my right foot, I am rethinking my dedication to the manual transmission.

As it is, other than "expedition" travel, to off road I have to wear a 4-point harness to keep me anchored to the seat and still be able to clutch, shift, and apply the handbrake as needed without tiring myself out and ending up crippled for a week after just a couple hours off road.

Getting old is a natural event; being old sucks.

Nice find. It seems like every time I find one for a good price its a 4dr auto. I already have a 4dr Auto. I can deal with 4 doors, I suppose, especially since I have my MJ meow. But I want a manual, hopefully not a BA10 pos.

I should be picking up an 88 with an aw4 and a 231.. want to trade, joe? Haha.

Although the floor isn't rusty the brake lines sure were. I replaced the brake lines ,rear brake hose and fuel vent line, axle seals,one brake adjuster cable, rear U joints,hood release,radiator and all the hoses.Changed fluids and a set of spark plugs.And of course the damn window washer pumps...
So a few hundred bucks and laying on creeper.....This XJ is a real jem...

Took this photo of our Jeeps a few days ago...Actually the Willys truck doesn't say Jeep on it and the 47 CJ2A has a Chevy 4 cylinder engine and it looks huge because it's closer to the camera

9656333916_44db99119d_z.jpg

Nice looking truck.

Now do the CJ!

Back