• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Another winch bumper fab thread.

YELLAHEEP

NAXJA Forum User
It was time. The old Pierce 10,000 lb tow truck winch needed to go. I found a good deal on a Warn HS9500i to take it's place, but couldn't afford a new bumper to go with it..... so DJ (91 Jeep Project) came over at the last minute and we tore into it.

Off with the old: I figure the old set up weighed around 200+ lbs. The bumper and the winch cradle is made from 1/4" with some 1/2" bracing around the mounting locations. The winch itself I figure weighs 90+ lbs (more with steel cable, but it has synthetic.) Would you beleve that entire monstrosity was being held on with 7/16" bolts thru the FACTORY bumper mounting holes! :eek: I did a thorough check after removing it for cracks or tears.... not a one to be found. Amazing considering the past few nasty nose-up hard winch pulls it's seen.

P1010787.jpg

The first major cut: Torching off the top half of the cradle with all the steel. The front was literally 3/4" thick! (The bars were used to mount my hi-lift across the front.)

P1010793.jpg

Here's the start of the re-birth: I'll be welding in a traditional winch mounting plate in the old opening with some bracing and losing the diamond plate top panels.

P1010792.jpg

Here's two afternoon's worth of work: This is with the winch plate welded in, angled panels on the ends, and the diamond plate removed.

P1010800.jpg

The back: DJ had the idea to make some additional mounts that will attach the bumper to the front cross member below the radiator.

P1010810.jpg

The side:

P1010809.jpg

And here it is mounted to check for clearances: Gonna need to dimple the side of the new angled piece to allow the winch motor to sit in without touching on the left.

P1010805.jpg

Profile: Kinda blurry, but I moved the entire bumper back about 5" with much improved approach angle.

P1010808.jpg

Awful lot of work there. All that's left is to finish grind/sand the exterior visible welds, then get some flat steel panels to replace the diamond plate ones. Eventually, I'll angle up the sides and make corners to go under the front fender corners like this:

Md.jpg

Many thanks to DJ for helping out the past two afternoons! He's a wizard with the angle grinder/cutting wheel! :thumbup:
The front of the Heep lifted a little over 1 1/2" with the bumper removed. I suppose I shaved 80+ lbs off the old set up. It'll be interesting to see how much of the 1 1/2" goes when I bolt up the new setup.

Last edited:
Nice goin' Troy. Are going to use the roller fairlead or go with the Hawse style? Are you going to leave it on the Heep when you modify the sides or is it coming back off?

I may modify the sides before putting it all back together...... kinda depends on if I can find time to work on it before I need it for a run.... :dunno:

Back