• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Annoying newbie with questions

WACK

NAXJA Forum User
Hello everyone! I am 19 years old and drive a 72 GMC 1/2 ton truck. About a year ago I picked up my first Jeep for 100 bucks from my boss (at the time). The Jeep is a 1987 Cherokee Chief, 4.0 5 speed 2 door 4x4 and the body was pretty nice save for the fact that it had been broken into and the stereo stolen, the drivers side key lock was busted out and there is a lot of faded paint on the hood and roof. Everything on the Jeep worked except for the A/c and there was a bad engine knock, but it ran and everything, I drove it home. My plan was to work on it and have a nice little off-road machine and a buddy for my truck in the parking lot, hah. Sadly though, between the truck, my quads and the fact that I bought a lowered Astro van I had no time or money to work on the Jeep...and so it sat. What I yhave now is a Jeep that VERY likely threw a rod and needs an engine. Between my Parents splitting, me moving twice and changing jobs the ignition key is lost....anyway, theres my haphazard background on the Jeep. Questions to follow....

1) I have pulled engines, transmissions, rearends and so forth...but all on Astro vans and never a 4X4, how hard is it to pull and replace an engine in the Jeep? I am pretty handy for my age and have all the tools I think I'd need (I own air tools, jack stands, creepers, trans jack, floor jacks, hand tools, an engine lift and so-forth)....I can read and understand a repair manual, hah....how hard could it be....right?? (Maybe I'm just looking for reassurance, lol)

2) How well do these 4.0 engines hold up? I don't want to spend much building this thing if I keep it so I am wondering if they are a hearty engine, if so I would not shy away from buying a used engine with some miles....I am not looking for a daily driver...just a fun toy.

3) anyone in WA. state interested in an 87 Cherokee Chief? 4.0 (thrown rod?) 5 speed, 4X4, 2 door, 178,000 miles, a/c (doesnt work) power windows and doors (passenger side power window was very weak but worked when parked) sunroof, no stereo, no keys (don't have ignition key and the previous owner never gave me a door key, though I have a set of new locks for the 2 doors laying around somewhere, don't know what to do about the hatch). Interior shows age but would clean up to be in "ok-descent" shape. Right now the passenger side seat is fairly moldy from sitting....I would clean the Jeep up all nice-like if someone was interested. If anyone has a serious interest in it give me a week and I'll get it all prettied up and snap some digital pics. The paint on the hood and roof is BADLY faded but would look nice with some flat black rattle-can work to match the "Chief" decals...the Jeep is maroon in color.

4) (just shooting the S#$% here) between a 92 toyota shortbed standard cab 4x4 and this jeep...which is better off-road, stock for stock?

Thanks for reading this retarded ramble....and any opinions that you may have for me!

The 4.0 is a nearly bulletproof engine. I've seen them with 300k+ miles pushing 35-38" tires no problems.

And there is a reason when people think "offroad" they think "jeep". :)

-c

A stock jeep with open diffs and bald tires could keep up with that toy(ota) any day of the week.

4.0 is awesome tough motor, one of the best I've seen for durability.

Pulling the motor isn't any harder than an Astro...Probably easier in my opinion.

John

WACK said:
4) (just shooting the S#$% here) between a 92 toyota shortbed standard cab 4x4 and this jeep...which is better off-road, stock for stock?

Seriously?! IFS or coil sprung solid axle?! I admit the 22re is a good motor but if it was v-6 powered then either prepare to warp heads and blow gaskets on a regular basis or just STICK WITH THE JEEP!
and of course if you were going to change gears or lock up then those removable 3rd members are another winner... that's about all- sooo... get some quick discos on the cherokee and you are better than many modded 4x's around

yeah. I agree with these guys. The I6 is pretty damned bulletproof. I'm sure someone ran it low on oil, hence your problem. You can probably find one out of a yard cheap. If you do, I would go to a 92+ and get the HO version. Make sure you get the maifolds, wiring etc... Trust me, its worth the money.

An xj is very good off road, and almost as good as anything out there stock. They are easy to build and easy to work on. That being said, yes an xj is way better than a stock toyota pickup offroad but there is a reason that toyota trucks are fairly expensive. I had a 90 model and tried for over a year to kill it with out any luck. I my opinion toyota makes the best truck out there. I guess this will not be a very popular opinion to post on a jeep forum.

Hehehe, I wasn't figuring I'd hear a biased towards the yoda posting here, lol. Personally, I don't like Toyota trucks, a few friends have them and swear by them, I find them too small and uncomfortable (maybe its my big @$$, lol) and every (OK..."both") manuals I have driven had pissy clutch action and notchy shifters ("Pissy" and "notchy" being technical terms, of course). Anyway, this 92+ HO version, she is a direct bolt-in, yes.....NOTHING scares me more than wiring, hah...I can be a bit of a redneck hacker at times. Thanks for the quick answers, sounds like maybe I need to go get an ignition for the ole Jeep and find an engine. I saw an 87 4.0 on craigslist locally for 100 bucks but it had a bunch of miles...maybe I will go check it out and have myself a 200 dollar Jeep.

(edit)

PS- yes this Jeep was ran low on oil by my ex-bosses wife, leading to the knock and eventual failure. Seems surprisingly well taken care of besides that, I found paperwork showing recent clutch rebuild and tune-up...looks like they planned on keeping it up until the incident.

Last edited:
You don't need to use the updated ECU etc. You can bolt the Renix system up to the 4.0 HO without a problem. Works great too.

I have a contact here in Portland that can get me a complete 4.0 used engines sans electronics for under $1000 and less than 10K on the clock. Pulled from totalled vehicles. Don't know if that price is availalbe to others though.

I happen to desire a two door but am not in the market. How do the doors hang? The have a reputation for sagging due to the length and weight.

didn't think there were any "redneck hackers" driving $200 jeeps in issaquah.... I guess our breed is getting pushed farther and farther out of seattle... might as well move over to moses lake or centralia and get it over with:)

Actually, to make it even worse, I am origionally from Kirkland, but I got out before the yuppy wore off on me too much, hah. I spent the majority of my life in North Bend...they turned me redneck.... Issaquah just kinda happened as I wanted to move closer to work.

KIRKLAND?!! I'm sorry! I grew up on the other side of puget sound, in port townsend- a wierd mix of tree huggers and rednecks.... I always felt funny driving my POS's around the east side, way too many chicks driving lexus's and rovers. ahh, the memories:D

fix it ,lift it,wheel it ,break it,repeat cycle :lecture:

Dude if you have pulled an astro engine. you wont even break a sweat on the 4.0 Get your ass to the junkyard find the cheapest 4.0 you can and get on the damn trail. 253,000 88 xj 2 oil leaks and drive 80 miles a day. Have fun. DIRT

First the truck needs a radiator....and maybe for me to install the bimmer seats I bought for it...OK, they can wait I guess (looks longingly over at the pretty leather Z3 buckets sitting in room)...I read a lot about the Jeep again and read the service manuals over again...seems simple enough. My birthday is coming up...I have a feeling a new toolset is in order....would be a good way to test them out I suppose.

Back